Soukous

Photoshop alternative

12 posts in this topic

If you're one of those people who resents paying Adobe a monthly fee for the pleasure of using Photoshop, then this may be of interest.

One of the most highly regarded Photoshop alternatives is now available on Windows. Affinity Phototoday launched its free public beta for Windows users, allowing anyone to download the popular pro photo editing software.

Affinity Photo is already very popular with Mac users

here's the link if you'd like to try it out - http://petapixel.com/2016/11/10/affinity-photo-now-windows-get-free-beta/

3 people like this

I have recently abandoned the monthly Photoshop subscription as they put it up 50% after the first year, partly due to the fall in the £ , partly because they think you are hooked. I have a copy of Photoshop CS6 but it won't accept the latest camera RAWs unless you convert them to Tiff first which is a bit tedious as it involves a lot of time and two programmes.

I'll take a look at that link, thanks.

7 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I have recently abandoned the monthly Photoshop subscription as they put it up 50% after the first year, partly due to the fall in the £ , partly because they think you are hooked. I have a copy of Photoshop CS6 but it won't accept the latest camera RAWs unless you convert them to Tiff first which is a bit tedious as it involves a lot of time and two programmes.

I'll take a look at that link, thanks.

@Dave Williams  Huh?  Dave, convert to .dng during the download. You don't need to go through a tedious process to convert to .tiff 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

@Dave Williams  Huh?  Dave, convert to .dng during the download. You don't need to go through a tedious process to convert to .tiff 

You have lost me there @Geoff How do you go about that? I usually just drag the files in their folder from my camera card in to an external hard drive. If you can convert to a DNG then why not a Tiff? Why a DNG ? Thanks Dave

Posted (edited)

@Dave Williams Do you have the latest version of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in (I think it is v9.10.1)? This should work within PS and convert the files to .dng if you wish. The advantage being that the files are a good deal smaller than .tiff (at least they seem to be if I output from PS in .tiff format).

I use LR and PS via subscription and these automatically update but I think the Camera Raw plug-in can be installed via the update menu in PS CS6.

My apologies if I am just stating the obvious that you already know...

Edited by pomkiwi
1 person likes this

@Dave Williams  You can convert to a .tiff if you wish but you're the one complaining about the (unnecessary) tedious process.

.dng is Adobe's proprietary raw file format (like Canon is .cr2) So if you have a .dng file then the Raw converter used with PS (or Lightroom) can read this file format with full raw file processing functionality.

What I suggest is ~ run a test with a small number of files on a card. ~ From PS6, open up the PhotoDownloader within Adobe Bridge and check the box that says convert to .dng. and see if PS6 can convert the raw files from your current camera(s) to .dng if so you can process as normal using Camera Raw (or Lightroom) and then move into PS proper for further processing.

If that doesn't work you can always download Adobe's DNG converter ~ refer here   

Another option if you are using Canon is process the .raw files with DPP and then move into PS6. (Nikon must have an equivalent of DPP too).

1 person likes this

On 07/07/2017 at 8:40 AM, Geoff said:

@Dave Williams  You can convert to a .tiff if you wish but you're the one complaining about the (unnecessary) tedious process.

.dng is Adobe's proprietary raw file format (like Canon is .cr2) So if you have a .dng file then the Raw converter used with PS (or Lightroom) can read this file format with full raw file processing functionality.

What I suggest is ~ run a test with a small number of files on a card. ~ From PS6, open up the PhotoDownloader within Adobe Bridge and check the box that says convert to .dng. and see if PS6 can convert the raw files from your current camera(s) to .dng if so you can process as normal using Camera Raw (or Lightroom) and then move into PS proper for further processing.

If that doesn't work you can always download Adobe's DNG converter ~ refer here   

Another option if you are using Canon is process the .raw files with DPP and then move into PS6. (Nikon must have an equivalent of DPP too).

Thanks both.

That's what I do at the moment @Geoff .Open the files for viewing in DPP then select the ones I want to work on by converting them to Tiff files and dropping them in to Photoshop. I haven't tried using DPP to process as it looks too complicated now I'm used to Photoshop. I only have to do this with the 1DX2 files, the RAW's from 7D2 and 5D3 open without a problem.

I'm pretty sure the RAW plug in can't be installed for new cameras @Pomkiwi

@Dave Williams According to my knowledge - you are correct. Adobe is no longer updating ACR - which means any new bodies / lenses which were not listed at the time of the last update, will not be supported. They run a business. And that is to make money. They are not making any money by supporting old software.  I will be using CS6 for as many moons as I can, before moving over to CC. Not making anybody else rich just yet :)

@Geoff  I'm using a Mac which might be different to using Windows but I discovered i had the DNG converter already downloaded ( not sure when I did so perhaps it came with Adobe Bridge or the Creative Cloud before I cancelled my subscription). Anyway, I tested it in a small file of photos and I was impressed at the speed it converted all the RAW files and that it could convert multiple files at once, whereas DPP only appears able to convert a single file to Tiff which makes the operation tedious.

I love the fact that you can open the DNG in CS6 and have full functionality whereas a Tiff skips the the first part where you can adjust basic settings easily.

The end result on a hastily processed images was the DNG came out better when I compared the two jpegs produced, I suspect because it's easier to adjust using the opening pages than work your way through the more complicated individual menus of Photoshop proper.

As you can see I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to PP !

I notice though the file size of the original RAW is 26mb, the DNG 23.6 and the TIFF a whopping 119.9mbs. Is some data being lost with a DNG that makes processing less effective ? 

So far I think you have made life a lot simpler and for that many thanks!

1 person likes this

@Dave Williams Excellent. I'm happy to know you now have a good solution that allows you to use CS6 with a more streamlined workflow. Hopefully CS6 will still work in the future when you (need to) upgrade your computer. Even so, be aware there are pros & cons to using .dng files. A quick google search should provide you with information on that.

41 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I notice though the file size of the original RAW is 26mb, the DNG 23.6 and the TIFF a whopping 119.9mbs. Is some data being lost with a DNG that makes processing less effective ?

From what I've read the .dng files are usually smaller than the raw files as the lossless compression process used in the creation of .dng files is said to be more efficient than the methods used for the raw files.   

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Seems to do what I want it to do with a lot less effort. You can convert lots of files in one go , it's pretty fast and it makes PP with CS6 simpler for me. The end result looks similar, maybe even better, than my original via TIFF

Loving it! 

Really appreciate the tip @Geoff

35753865881_b6b43fed2a_b.jpgSparrowhawk by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams
3 people like this

Excellent @Dave Williams