See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Give me some examples of Centre-weighted vs Matrix metering?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,109 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

I mean in what instances would you use the two options?

If the subject is in a heavy shadow - would you ideally use Centre-weighted?

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#2 TonyQ

TonyQ

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,906 posts
  • Local time: 05:56 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:12 PM

@madaboutcheetah

I confess that I never use centre-weighted.

Sometimes I use spot metering if the subject is small and the background is very different (light or dark). (or on a night drive where there is a spotlight and matrix will probably struggle)

Most of the time I use matrix (evaluative) and then dial in exposure compensation. Usually compensation is needed for birds in trees, dark animals with light background, ligh animals with dark backgrounds

• madaboutcheetah likes this

#3 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • Local time: 05:56 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

As of two years ago we have our Nikon camera(s) (previous D7100 and now D7200) set on centre weighted. I am more than please with the results. That goes for wildlife shooting when the subject is usually only a fraction of the total view.

For difficult situations (heavy shadows and bright spots around) spot, and for yet another situations exposure compensation.

Used Matrix exclusively before. Yet I think both are good metering systems if used properly.

• madaboutcheetah likes this

#4 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,821 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:21 PM

I am the reverse of @xelas. I had always used centre-weighted until I was told by a professional photographer to use evaluative. I can't for the life of me remember why though.....
  • TonyQ and xelas like this

#5 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Local time: 06:56 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 10 November 2016 - 05:53 PM

I have a question though:

With modern lenses, spot metering is coupled to the active focus point. Is this also true for center-weighted?

Ek oefen skelm.

#6 janzin

janzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Local time: 12:56 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:45 PM

I have a question though:

With modern lenses, spot metering is coupled to the active focus point. Is this also true for center-weighted?

In Nikon cameras at least, center-weighted is exactly that: it gives extra weight (75%) to the center of the image and the remaining 25% to the surrounding area. In most nikon cameras you can specify the size of the center that you want from 6-12mm I think. It is NOT coupled to the focus point...that would be spot metering.

To answer the original question, I used to use center-weighted a lot, especially for small perched birds (which would often only fill the center of my frame), but since the Nikon D810 I have been using it much less because Nikon unfortunately removed the little switch (that was on the D300/D300s/D800) that made it extremely easy and quick to switch between metering modes. Now, on the D810 and D500 you need to do a two hand process to switch the modes and I find it so cumbersome that I rarely switch out of matrix. Honestly I haven't noticed much difference, as I think Nikon's Matrix is usually good, with compensation as required.

I do however sometimes use spot and especially the new highlight-weighted metering, which is very useful with white birds--when I remember. I really miss that mechanical switch!

Edited by janzin, 10 November 2016 - 08:52 PM.

• madaboutcheetah and Peter Connan like this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.