See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Tell me your dumb photo mistakes on safari!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,716 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:59 PM

What about setting off a star trail without a full battery? The processing after takes ages and so my first KTP attempt was lost as the battery died in the processing stage :(
  • janzin, Peter Connan and xelas like this

#42 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Local time: 07:20 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

LENS CAP 

Observing others it is reasonably common to have a problem finding it after you are finished taking pictures

I have no problem as nine is tied to the camera with a length of fishing line

BATTERIES 

I always  go out with a battery with good charge in the camera  and multiple spares 

I put this in a larger zip bag to make it easier to find

they are kept dust free by using a small food storage container 

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#43 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Local time: 07:20 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:34 AM

people  take very good photographs here

a safari is more than a photo opportunity

being realistic  no one  is likely  to get exactly  the scenery or animal they like, perfectly timed , with good light , being in an optimal position in the vehicle ,waterhole or hide , without the animal moving too quickly , not positioned  in a way that makes focusing a problem, positioned at just the right distance given the available camera and lens , not obscured by bush , with back turned ,head down , in an area with too much detail of a lodge or other vehicles  

it is a real experience , not something set up , like a fashion model who does whatever you want 

given all this, and perhaps other things I have not listed , the resulting pictures are very good

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#44 monalisa

monalisa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:15 AM

Not a photography mistake, but my husband missed recording 3 lionesses hunt a waterbuck by pressing record OFF when he meant to start filming. He forgot to look for the flashing red dot and assumed he was recording  :rolleyes:

My big mistake was perhaps more blatant. I packed my camera away after about a 6 hour stretch of seeing nothing, when we came across the most adorable giraffe that ran and hid behind a bush. She splayed her legs and peered timidly at us from underneath the bush. That is my biggest photo regret!! I hope I never lose the photograph in my mind.

• pault, JohnR, janzin and 1 other like this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.