See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Beautiful South Luangwa - a safari of elephants

Zambia South Lungwa

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • Local time: 08:17 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:12 AM

You had some excellent wildlife viewing at Kafunta.  Just like drives are a crap shoot with some outings more exciting than others, so too with walking.  You may have had a slow day out when you went.  Funny how one interpretation of being helpful (having you skip a drive to rest up) is another person's disappointment.

How nice you are considering a return and maybe with a new camera!

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#62 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,717 posts
  • Local time: 10:17 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

thanks for returning to wrap up the report - and that Ginger is a real blonde looker - tall, big, strong, and handsome. his brother ain't that bad either. 

I had loved SLNP and hope one day to return (after I exhaust my yet-to-go list)! 

#63 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

@martywildog What did you see on your night drives if you didn't see any leopards? Are you one of those people who don't like night drives? 

They do exist but I'm certainly not one of them.

#64 martywilddog

martywilddog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

I'm not sure I understand your question @optig? We did see several leopards on night drive! And they are my favorite animal to observe, so often when we saw leopards I tend to forget what else we saw. I am sure we saw many other things as well. I just don't take as many pictures on night drives and I often rely on those as my notes. So yes I love night drives :) I also love day drives. I love safari :)

• optig likes this

#65 martywilddog

martywilddog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

I know what you mean @Kitsafari! There are just so many places I want to visit still :) 

#66 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

@martywilddog I'm so happy that you enjoyed your night drives,and saw many leopards. I've seen many civets,genets, owls,nightjars, hippos on land, shrews,

and even honey badgers. I even saw an aardvark, and serval. I've never experienced more productive night drives than in South Luangwa. 

• janzin likes this

#67 martywilddog

martywilddog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

Our nightdrives were generally very good as well @optig, as you said, lots of genets, tons of hippos on land, many (very fast) shrews. Also a few good porcupines sightings! But some were also a bit quiet, as it always is with a drive. 

I can only compare with SA but what I noted in SLNP is that it's really a night drive and not just "the drive back to the lodge in the dark after sundowners". I really liked that! 

I am very jealous that your return trip is already planned ;) 

• optig likes this

#68 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

@martywilddog I forgot to mention all the awesome sightings of porcupines at night. They are truly phenomenal. I'd love to hear more about your ideas about going on future safaris. Despite having already been on 10 safaris,i'm enjoying going on safari more than ever. I'm going on 3 this year,and 2 next year. 

#69 martywilddog

martywilddog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

I wish I could go on 3 safaris a year, I'll have to settle for 2 :) My other half also likes safaris but he has a very stresfull job and unfortunately the day planning of a safari does not include a lot of sleeping. There's that and there's of course the budget. 

So our next safari will be a return to Kruger upcoming March, more specifically to the Klaserie and Timbavati reserve. This is a very budget friendly safari! 

And for our fall trip (sept) I had thought of going to Namibia, but what I didn't know is that 9 months in advance, Namibia is already all booked out! It's extremely popular at the moment I am told.

So I am now looking at the Kwazulu natal area of SA. This also seems to be a very good value for money destination, though I am not sure of the safari quality. Some of the reserves are small. But I like the thought behind Tembe, I love the tranquil look and feel of Kosi Bay and I'm sure there will be enough to see around Hluluwe-Imfolozi, it's huge. I would also love to add Thanda reserve as the "splurge" part - very close to Phinda, but the latter is out of my price range :) 

Where are your trips headed @optig? You have one to SNLP and the 4 others? 

• optig likes this

#70 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:36 PM

@martywilddog this year i'm going to Sarara Camp,Ol Malo,and Ol Donyo Lodge which are all in Kenya. Then in August I'm going to Katavi for a week,and Mahale for 4 days. Finally 

at the end of September I'll be going for ten days to Tswalu Kalahari. I'm very lucky because I don't have kids, a wife nor a mortgage. It also makes much easier when you live in Nairobi.

#71 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,013 posts
  • Local time: 02:17 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

@optig - what month are you at Ol Donyo?

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#72 martywilddog

martywilddog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

Your comment made me laugh @optig  :D Indeed, a husband and a mortgage make holiday planning harder! (kids in the future).

How are you experiencing living in Nairobi if you don't mind my asking? Kenya is very high on my wish list to visit but DH (and his family :) ) are opposed.

• optig likes this

#73 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

@martywild dog I love living in Kenya!!!  :rolleyes:  :D It's a very safe safari destination. I have to say if one takes the same reasonable precautions that they would anywhere else it's also quite safe to live here. One is at at far more risk of being the victim of a violent crime in Chicago(where I come from), Detroit, Baltimore, St.Louis,New Orleans or many other cities in the United States. Yes, there is a risk of theft but that exists virtually anywhere. I don't feel like it's all dangerous living here.

#74 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

@madaboutcheetah i'm going to Ol Donyo to celebrate my 56th birthday next month. I'll be there on the first of February. I'm taking advantage of shoulder season rates, as well as the fact that I got a very good deal at Ol Donyo Lodge,Sarara Camp and Ol Malo Camp through Rose Muya of Timeless Tours and Travel. I'm even being transferred by helicopter from Ol Malo to Sarara Camp. 

• madaboutcheetah likes this

#75 martywilddog

martywilddog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

A helicopter ride over the bush! That should be magical :) 

• optig likes this

#76 deano

deano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Local time: 09:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

@martywilddog - very nice sighting of Ginger. I really wanted to see him while we were in SLNP last year but no such luck. Great sightings of leopards and as your trip report title indicates you really saw a lot of elephants.

I particularly like the video clips; always nice to see  bit more of the various camps that we all stay at as well as everyday things and that sunset is just brilliant while setting up for drinks overlooking the river and took me right back to our last trip there. Gorgeous part of the world and I'll have to return there very soon.

kind regards

deano.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zambia, South Lungwa

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.