See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Great Plains to expand into Zimbabwe

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,018 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

http://us2.campaign-...5&id=5b24b4eaed

Wonderful news from a Great operator!!!

• SafariChick and optig like this

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#2 marg

marg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 PM

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:12 AM

@madaboutcheetah...agree.   It will be interesting to see what they do and where they do it.

#3 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:03 AM

I do know that Great Plains is planning to open a camp in Mana Pools south of Ruckomenchi Camp. This area is currently hunting concession,and unfortunately the Zimbabwean government has allowed overhunting of buffalo to occur in the area. The great things about Great Plains is that like &Beyond they will restock an area with wildlife in order to get tourists to go there. No,I don't feel that conversation is really the first concern in Great Plain's transfer of wildlife species into an area,but it certainly aids conservation.

I'd like  to know if Great Plains is going to launch camps elsewhere in Zimbabwe. My first thought is what about in Matshudona or perhaps in Chirizaria? What about investing in some int farms in SAVE which have fallen into disrepair due to the invasions of masses of woivets? My point is that there is no shortage of places which can be built up again into tourist areas. I'll need to contact Great Plains to hear about their plans for the future in Zimbabwe. 

• PT123 likes this

#4 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts
  • Local time: 12:04 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 04 November 2016 - 01:42 AM

... Great Plains...

Wasn't Great Plains one of the prime instigators to have hunting banned in Botswana on the (implied or express) premise that they and others would put photo safari camps in the abandoned hunting concessions....?

Did they ever do this?

• optig likes this
Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#5 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:42 AM

They most certainly did. However, conservationists have some doubts as to their sincerity. Some see them as film makers more interested in profit than conservation. They have become house hold names in many places.

#6 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:55 AM

@ZaminOz   Well they still claim this is their objective but I am not seeing any evidence of this in their portfolio of camps.  To be fair though, perhaps they are in the pricess of "restocking " areass, to which optig refers,, before opening the camps?  Or some other processes? I can't think of any areas they are currently operating in that would have needed "restocking",. Prime areas all of them.

@madaboutcheetah  Happy news for you (and other fans) ... and this on top of the increeased ease of getting a visa there.

Quite interesting that they chose Zimbabwe with a Bob in decline and all, rather than Botswana, Zambia or Tanzania. Guess the likes of me will never know why, really, but intreresting all the same.

Got to love Safaritalk. Every thread can develop a split personality in an instant - even multiple personalities! in no time.

Edited by pault, 04 November 2016 - 06:08 AM.

• ZaminOz, optig and offshorebirder like this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#7 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:57 AM

Why does a simple thread that mentions the opening of a new camp open up controversial discussions based on Hearsay stuff and Cynister logic?

@pault - Great news indeed!

Edited by madaboutcheetah, 04 November 2016 - 06:00 AM.

• AKR1 likes this

#8 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,589 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:04 AM

I thought it was great news when I heard about it because they are going into a formerly hunting area with the plan to turn it into a non-hunting area. What could be bad about that? (Wait - knowing how threads go around here, don't answer that!)

• madaboutcheetah, ZaminOz and PT123 like this

#9 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:17 AM

@madaboutcheetah   Wasn't it always thus? It's a fair question  to ask actually, but is this the place for it? Very probably not.

Anyway, I withdrew my question to @optig to limit it a bit ... I went too far. (Sorry @optig, but it wasn;t a very interesting question anyway). I think a eensy bit of gossip and innuendo never hurt anyone though -as long as it stays within the "nice" boundaries.

@SafariChick  It's out there now!!! Arrgh.  Restate it as a statement... quickly. 

"How to prime a fire and then try put it out and why bother"...... by pault will be available for sale at Amazon in time for Christmas.

#10 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:33 AM

@pault - sorry, the first part of my post wasn't directed at you ......... You didn't start the fire ;)

#11 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,641 posts
  • Local time: 03:04 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:13 AM

very welcome news  , they would have considered  things carefully  and think that they can achieve  good things for wildlife conservation using their  tourist operations 

the actual announcement gives little details other than saying that there will be an office in Victoria falls

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#12 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:53 AM

@madaboutcheetah  I wouldn;t have blamed you if it had been aimed at me and no offence would have been taken anyway.  (Just so you know... haha)

#13 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

@pault - sorry, the first part of my post wasn't directed at you ......... You didn't start the fire ;)

Agreed. Let's forget everything they ever said. They are pure and have no motivation other than pure conservation. I get it now ;)

Edited by ZaminOz, 04 November 2016 - 10:59 AM.

Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#14 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

I thought it was great news when I heard about it because they are going into a formerly hunting area with the plan to turn it into a non-hunting area. What could be bad about that? (Wait - knowing how threads go around here, don't answer that!)

Agreed. If they achieve that aim then that is a positive... just wondered why we had heard nothing of such news in Botswana all this time after their strong advocacy to put a whole competitive industry out of businesses...

#15 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:58 AM

http://www.tourismup...ns-for-Zimbabwe

#16 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:32 AM

Sounds brilliant. I think that is the area to the South of the Chikwenya Lodge concession?

All good news :)

• madaboutcheetah likes this

#17 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

I just celebrated my 56th birthday at Ol Donyo Lodge with the wonderful management team of Amy and Shaun. They explained to me that Great Plains is going to have three different types of camps just like in the Selinda Concession. There would be a super luxurious camp like Zarafa. a highly luxurious camp with it's own wine cellar like Selinda and one which offers a more "bushy" option like Selinda Explorer's Camp. There will be of course the options available of taking river safaris, as well as walking at all of them. The more up market lodges will offer river cruises and the simpler camp will offer canoeing. 

Amy explained to me that Dereck Joubert spent many hours explaining to the Zimbabwean minister of tourism that wildlife tourism would bring in more revenue than hunting. Is it any surprise that hunters hate the Jouberts so much? I also understand that Great Plains will be opening camps in Rwanda,and Tanzania. I think that it's quite encouraging. :mellow:

#18 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

@wilddog - I wonder if that's where Doug camped in October........ Hmmmm

@optig - Amy and Shaun are amazing hosts ...... Glad you had a great safari!  Tanzania - More Great news! 

• optig likes this

#19 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

@madaboutcheetah It's also superb news that Great Plains is opening a camp in Rwanda because it will bring more upmarket tourists. Thus more money will be generated and the competition will be forced to improve.

#20 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

@wilddog - I wonder if that's where Doug camped in October........ Hmmmm

I can remember seeing signs re hunting at the far end ?southern border of the Chikwenya concession. The other hunting area around there is Chewore but that is further east. 

Perhaps @Doug Macdonald can advise?

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.