Winter-lynx

The_Norwegian

The_Norwegian

*pictures taken under controlled conditions*

From a workshop some years back at a conservation-park in Norway for these beautiful cats, they are really and truly beautiful and elegant animals, and endangered here in Norway, yet there are state-sanctioned hunts every winter on them to keep their population at the brink of extintion. It`s a shame. But i guess it`s like that not only in Norway regarding predatores. Loved and hated. I love them, and they will forever be my favourite big cats, although i`m soon heading for Africa ;-)

12484675733_7c8aefe660_o.jpg_U9F1004 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

12484661323_a2f7bd7040_o.jpg_U9F2448 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

12484681763_f47712441d_o.jpg_U9F0927 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

12485037114_76727fd3b4_o.jpg_U9F0793 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

12484695373_a1a96ffeab_o.jpg_U9F0736 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

12484705923_379b91c016_o.jpg_MG_5524 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

16002835057_7cdd368966_b.jpg_MG_5515 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

12484708893_41bab328ec_b.jpg_MG_5511 by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

23494566843_ce030f6102_b.jpgSnowy lynx by asgeir westgård, on Flickr

@@The_Norwegian beautiful pictures. Were they take at the Polar Park near Narvik? I was there earlier this year and the Lynx's were in fine form. Our guide told us wild Lynx have been found in the forests around Narvik. Such a shame that hunting of these beautiful creatures is still allowed.

@@The_Norwegian Gorgeous photos! I agree, I wish that hunting them wasn't allowed - but glad you got to see them and thanks so much for sharing with us.

Beautiful photos of a beautiful animal @@The_Norwegian.

I had no idea that there was any hunting of the European Lynx and I'm wondering why. What is their normal prey? and are they much of a threat to livestock - is that the reason?

The_Norwegian

their main prey is roe deer and hare. They prey on livestock such as sheep and reindeer. Threat.. i would say sheeps are a threat to the lynx beeing hunted, as in norway farmers let out their sheeps in the spring to grace during the summer, and when you let out your livestock in lynx-territory without any supervision, what can you expect? the fat, lazy sheeps without any natural instinct for fleeing from predators, of course the lynxes are triggered to hunt them.. We have only varying from 300-350 lynxes left in the wild in Norway, so it`s crazy to hunt them. This goes for all predators in Norway, wolves, wolverines and bears. I`m ashamed to call myself norwegain when it comes to this..