See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Hello from France (and from Benin !)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EmmanuelFr

EmmanuelFr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 06:56 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hello from France,

I'm one of these writers who ask questions on expert forums to test the credibility of some story plots :) Here the question is about how likely it is to find a buffalo horn as a proof that a buffalo was there the night before at some place. Can a buffalo loose a horn ? Or does "finding a buffalo horn" mostly means the buffalo was killed by an hunter who took the horn as a trophy, etc.. [This is then something I definitely want to avoid]

The context : I am working on an authentic Benin tale, that my colleague from Benin was told, by a 90 yo lady there, which is, briefly, about a half-buffalo/half-man spirit who is causing troubles to a village (he empties the main water source at night). We want to tell this tale to the French kids in an illustrated story.

But I'm also asked to provide a short contemporary introduction and conclusion so that French kids are not exposed only to "past Benin" when they read it. So we imagined the following introduction and conclusion : in Benin, a solar powered machine that irrigates a village is out of order. While she's fixing it, a woman tells the tale, to a boy waiting for the machine to be fixed. And in the end, after she finished the tale, they find out the machine was broken by a buffalo. This way, at least the kids are being told Benin is not a country living in the past, that there is technology there too, etc... Even though the tale itself is happening in very old times.

So my question is : is it possible for a buffalo to loose a horn ? For instance, the buffalo stuck a horn in some panels and had to leave without his horn, but he damaged the machine while trying to remove it. This way, we can draw a buffalo horn in the illustration, etc..., and the kids understand instantly what happens. It is something that could happen ?

On the other hand, if it never happens, if "finding a buffalo horn" is associated with a hunter trophy,etc, well I'll have to change, and only use animal tracks for instance.

So, can buffalos loose horns when they stuck them ? :)

#2 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Local time: 04:56 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:59 AM

welome

buffaloes can have horn broken in contact with each other  etc

contact with machines could also do it

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#3 EmmanuelFr

EmmanuelFr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 06:56 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Writer

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:01 PM

Thank you very much for the answer ! In the published illustrated story, the woman will then find the buffalo horn near an India Mark II pump.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.