See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

extreme wildlide decline with livestock increase kenya 1977-2016

plos open access wildlife decline rangelands livestock increase

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 03:16 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

I came across this from an article on THE CONVERSATION 

please see   http://journals.plos...al.pone.0163249

• the study is longterm  taking in a period of decades
  • it is based on the rangelands not the protected reserves
  • the rangelands take in 88 % of the total area of the nation
  • the total rangelands population of the 18 most common species of wildlife  decreased between 64 and 88 % in the period 1977 to 2016
  • the human population went up substantially, along with sheep and goats  with lesser increases for camels and  donkeys, and a 25% decrease for cattle
  • wildlife goes down when the human population is above 20 per square km, the landscape is more fragmented and there is more likely to be human wildlife conflict
  • there are insufficient policies and markets to deal with wildlife in the rangelands , although there are some private and communal reserves

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 11 October 2016 - 08:18 AM.

• michael-ibk likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#2 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,185 posts
  • Local time: 12:16 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:12 AM

Gret find. Really well written and lots of interesting information in there. No real surprises I guess (in the areas we might be shocked, most of the decrease occurred in the earlier part of the timeframe, although seeing the actual declines of animals we think of as doing well over that time is pretty shocking) but  (for me) lots of interesting nuggets among the confirmation of what we thought, and a nice, concise but fairly thorough analysis of causes and possible solutions too.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#3 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 03:16 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:48 AM

• this is based on longterm aerial surveys
  • to find the supplermentary info click on the view article tab ,then go down the headings in the left margin at the top
  • if you weish to print the  xls sheets, click on enable editing

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.