See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Porini Lion Camp, Masai Mara, Kenya

porini lion kenya masai mara gamewatchers olare motorogi

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 janzin

janzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

1) Name of property and country: (Please also include name of property and country as topic title and include as tags as well)

Porini Lion Camp, Masai Mara, Kenya

2) Website address if known:

https://www.porini.c...rini-lion-camp/

3) Date of stay, including whether Green Season, Shoulder season or High season pricing (if known).

September 15-18, 2016  High Season

4) Length of stay:

3 nights

5) Why did you choose this camp or lodge to stay in? Based upon what?

recommendation of agent and fellow SafariTalkers who have been there

6) How did you book the property, direct or agent? Were your enquiries dealt with quickly and efficiently?

Agent (The Wild Source)

7) How many times have you been on Safari?

this was the fifth

8) To which countries?

South Africa x2, Tanzania, Botswana, now Kenya

9) Which properties have you been to previously that you are comparing this one to?

Tented camps in Botswana would come the closest

10) Was the camp/lodge fenced?

No

11) How many rooms/tents does it have?

12) What tent or room did you stay in? Did it have a good view? Was it overlooked or private?

#3  There wasn't much of a direct view due to trees, but if you walked just a few steps forward you looked out over the river below, and a popular spot for animals to come down to drink--we had zebra, wildebeest, impala, and many birds drinking below. Lots of birds in the trees surrounding the tent which kept me busy during siesta time.

A bit close to surrounding tents, we could hear loud conversations from #2.

13) How comfortably furnished was the room/tent?

Very comfortable, spacious, and had a writing table which none of the other camps on this trip had; very useful for downloading photos on the laptop, etc. Typical bucket safari shower with scalding hot water--be careful!

14) Did you like the food? If yes, please state why. If no, please state why.

Very good food, home style cooking, rustic but very good. The pork ribs were especially delicious.

15) Was there a varied menu offering multiple choice? If vegetarian was a suitable alternative offered? (Did you have to request this in advance?)

Both lunch and dinner was served buffet so there were some choices but generally one main dish with salads and vegetables.

16) What is the default dining arrangement? Single tables or communal dining? Do the guides/managers host at mealtimes?

Both communal and seperate tables. There was one large photo group of 12 when we were there so we were put at a table with one other couple; after the photo group left there was a communal table for the rest of us.

Guides did not join at mealtimes.

17) How good were the packed breakfasts/lunches if staying out on game drives?

Very good

18) What are the game drive vehicles? Please include photo if possible.

Open sided land cruisers with canvas tops. Beanbags were available. I believe they also have one closed, pop-top type vehicle--some of the photo group was using this.

19) How many guests per row?

three rows of two. We had a private vehicle and as far as I could tell so did everyone else at camp while we were there, so not sure how many maximum they might put at other times..

20) How long were the game drives and were they varied in the routes taken?

Variable, depending on sightings...departure at 6:30 returning around noon, then from 4 until dark. You can also do night drives AFTER dinner here, which was great...one night we went out on a night drive at 9 p.m. until about 10:30.

21) What are the standard game drive times? Are game drive times flexible: i.e., if agreed in advance, can you go out earlier than suggested and stay out later, i.e., not returning for lunch but taking supplies with you?

See #20  Since we had a private vehicle route and timing were very flexible. We did go out on one full day drive to into the Mara reserve, returning about 6 p.m.

22) Is this a private conservancy/concession, and what is the vehicle/lodge density like?

Yes, Olare Motorogoi Conservancy.  There are several camps in the vicinity but none TOO close. We usually saw vehicles from three or four camps at sightings.

23) If in a National Park, what is the vehicle density in the immediate vicinity?

n/a

24) Are you able to off-road?

Yes

25) Are there rotation policies for sightings i.e., You face the risk of queuing or being bumped from a sighting.

In theory, no more than five at a sighting. This was almost never an issue and we were never bumped--if we saw too many cars at a sighting we just went elsewhere. Most sightings were on our own or with one or two other vehicles.

26) What wildlife is this property known for? Did you get good sightings?

Cats! It is not called Lion Camp for nothing. We had fabulous sightings of leopard (three different individuals), two different lion prides, lions mating, lions hunting, cheetah with a kill, leopard with a kill, serval on a night drive.  Others while we were there had caracal (which we searched for but missed.) Also at this time the wildebeest and zebra migration was massing on the plains just outside of camp--tremendous numbers of wildlife everywhere.

27) How was the standard of guiding?

Excellent, our guides were Gerald and Josephat and they were both great, highly recommend either one.

28) If you had a bad experience with a guide, why? Did you report the issue to management, and if so, how did they deal with the issue?

n/a

29) If you had a very good experience with your guide, please give reasons why:

Personable, fun to be with, informative, really understood about photography, genuinely excited at sightings, etc. Tried hard to get us the caracal!

30) Were staff attentive to your requests/needs?

Yes

31) Does the property support a local community conservation initiative. If so, please provide brief details and website address if known.

As part of the Olare Motorogoi conservancy they are directly involved in that initiative. Here is a link to their statement on their conservation practices: http://www.porinisaf...ble-tourism.htm

32) Safaritalk trip report link:

to come later

33) Any other pertinent details you wish to add:

When can I go back? :)

34) Please add your photographs of the property below, with headings.

• amybatt, Big Andy and Tom Kellie like this

#2 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,485 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:37 AM

~ @janzin

Lovely camp review of Porini Lion.

It matches my week-long experience there in February, 2016.

I'm delighted that you had such a positive Porini Lion experience!

Thank you for posting this.

Tom K.

• amybatt and janzin like this

#3 douglaswise

douglaswise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 AM
  • Category 2:Researcher

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

My wife and I visited both Porini Mara (Ol Kinyei) and Porini Lion (Olare Motorogi) camps in February this year.  We actually preferred the former, though both were excellent.  The latter is better situated for a day visit to the National Reserve.  As it happened, there were just as many or more animals in the Conservancies as in the Reserve at the time of our visit and we only spent half a day in the latter for old time's sake, having visited it 30 years previously.

The reason for our preference primarily related to vehicle numbers at cat sightings.  Porini Mara guests have Ol Kinyei  exclusively to themselves and also have traversing rights over the adjacent Naboisho Conservancy.  Olare Motorogi is populated with quite a few camps and vehicle density is significantly higher.  I understand that sightings have a reputation for being better on Olare Motorogi, but that was certainly not our own experience.  That said, we maybe experienced unusual conditions in consequence of the very good previous rainfall.

Our secondary reason for preferring Porini Mara was the fact that we gelled better with the guides and management there, not that there was anything whatsoever to complain about at Porini Lion.

#4 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Local time: 08:28 PM

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

Another Porini Lion fan here.  I'm glad you enjoyed it as I did and they continue to maintain high standards!

• janzin and Tom Kellie like this

#5 pomkiwi

pomkiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 AM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

Another positive review for Porini Lion.  When I arrived there was one other guest but we had separate vehicles rather than putting us together. Very comfortable tent and lovely staff.  I experienced no crowding at sightings except for one occasion when we were in the main reserve rather than in the conservancy. Food was good and the house wine also good (it is from Chile which seems a long way - I would have expected South African).  I hope to return.

• AmyT likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: porini lion, kenya, masai mara, gamewatchers, olare motorogi

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.