See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Andy

Plastic Tainted Water.

7 posts in this topic

I recently bought two Camelbak drinking packs for Shirley and myself to take on our up and coming safari to save on using bottled water. The problem is even after filling and emptying them many time you can still taste the plastic if the water is in there for more than half an hour. Does anyone know of a way of cleaning them to cure the problem?

I could of course fill them with rum but that would work out expensive at 2L a go but could be good fun if a tad irresponsible.

1 person likes this

Just to update, we've now added Bicarbonate of soda to one of them and will try them again tomorrow. I'll let you know if that works, it may help someone else on another occasion if it does.

I do not get a tainted taste out of any of the following

• a aluminium drink bottle
  • a blender bottle
  • a reused stronger juice bottle from the supermarket

Posted (edited)

Thanks @@COSMIC RHINO I've got aluminium drinks bottles and can obviously get the empty juice bottles but having already bought these back packs I would like to solve the taste problem if I can. If not they'll still be used, I don't suppose it'll kill us and will stop us getting dehydrated just the same.

Off to try the one that had Bicarb in it over night to see if it's helped.

Edit:- Bicarb does seem to have helped a bit, I'll now do this every day for a week or two and that will hopefully cure the taste issue completely.

Edited by Big Andy

some of the camelbacks are separate bottles but yours is in the backpack, which makes it of more concern

@@Big Andy try it with tea. Make some black tea, leave it in your drinking packs overnight and the plastic flavor should be gone or significantly less annoying. Hopefully this works for you!

2 people like this

Thank you @@LarsS if the bicarb doesn't work I'll defiantly try that. I always drink tea without milk or sugar although boiling hot might not be a good idea in the Camelbak. ;)

1 person likes this