See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kellie

Asian Elephants Slaughtered in Myanmar for Chinese Market

3 posts in this topic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3805873/The-scourge-skin-poachers-Hideous-sight-butchered-elephant-exposes-sick-trade-animals-hides-feed-soaring-demand-China.html

~ This article from the U.K. Daily Mail presents images of slaughtered Asian elephants in Myanmar (Burma) obtained during an undercover operation conducted by the U.K. conservation organization, Elephant Family.

A thriving Chinese trade in elephant skin trinkets causes the death of Asian elephants. Hides and ivory are openly sold across the border in China's Elephant Valley tourism development.

(In February, 2012 I was on special assignment in Xishuangbanna, Yunnan province with my highest “top leader”. He and his wife took me to Elephant Valley where I observed the illegal elephant trinkets on sale and saw the ‘elephant show’. Xishuangbanna is wedged between Myanmar and Laos.)

1 person likes this

this is all very unfortunate and hard to control

indo china is a major area for wildlife crime

Posted (edited)

These chinese will never learn..they want medicine to save themselves by killing animals..what if they get killed to make medicine to save tigers?

Edited by gagan
1 person likes this