Overland Expeditions India

Pictures from Satpura National park (When I used to work there as a Naturalist in Reni Pani jungle lodge)

Satpura national park is one of best parks of India, it is located in Hoshangabad district of Madhya Pradesh in Central India. It is spread over Satpura Hills on highlands of Central India.

Satpura is a Sanskrit word, that means seven mountains (sapta=seven;pura=mountain).

Most of the Satpura range was heavily forested, These forest provide habitat to several at risk and endangered species, including the Tiger. It is one the areas of this landscape preserved marvelously for protection of flora and fauna.

This park is spread over 1427 sq km and was formed in 1981 after joining Satpura, Pachmari and Bori sanctuaries and the altitude ranges from 300 to 1,352 metres (980 to 4,436 ft). The terrain of the national park is extremely rugged and consists of fascinating deep valleys, sandstone peaks, narrow gorges, rivulets, waterfalls, thick dense green forest of Sal and other medicinal herbs, it also has large tracts of Teak forests.

Its fauna comprises Spotted Dear, Indian Bison(Gaur), Tigers, Leopards, Wild boar, Wild dog (locally called Dholes), Sloth bear, Black buck (unique attraction), Porcupine, Sambhar, Four Horned antelopes (Chowsingha), Otters, Crocodile, Malabar squirrels, Langurs etc.

Indian Giant squirrel, Sloth bear and White Bison are a special feature of Satpura National Park. It offers good birding opportunity due to its unique terrain and many water bodies including the Tawa reservoir. From November to March it also hosts a variety of migratory birds in the Tawa reservoir and fields around the park.

post-51005-0-88759800-1474721785_thumb.jpg

Sloth bear

post-51005-0-05414400-1474721495_thumb.jpg

Denwa backwater

post-51005-0-85867700-1474721518_thumb.jpg

Asian Paradise flycatcher

post-51005-0-85453100-1474721522_thumb.jpg

Common wanderer

post-51005-0-19118200-1474721566_thumb.jpg

Crested hawk eagle

post-51005-0-98873500-1474721585_thumb.jpg

Indian wilddogs (dhole)

post-51005-0-45000400-1474721609_thumb.jpg

Leopard

post-51005-0-37245100-1474721626_thumb.jpg

Flock of Oriental White eye

post-51005-0-59524600-1474721704_thumb.jpg

View of Inside the park near elephant camp

post-51005-0-98438700-1474721844_thumb.jpg

Sloth bear

Nice shots, I like the look of the landscape. Satpura has been on my wishlist for a long time. So many places, so little time (and money!)...

Wonderful wildlife photos of classic India.
What did working as naturalist in the park entail, also?

Nice shots, I like the look of the landscape. Satpura has been on my wishlist for a long time. So many places, so little time (and money!)...

Hi @@Livetowander, Thank you so much. Yeah, landscape of satpura is very beautiful and very sceneic. You should definitely go to satpura, its must go place.

Wonderful wildlife photos of classic India.

What did working as naturalist in the park entail, also?

@@Big_Dog thank you. I have lots of pictures will share more soon.

We are always in the direct contact with the authorities, keeping them informed about the animal movements and wellbeing, we also actively participate in the annual tiger and general census.

we also use to give training about wildlife to local park guides.

@@offshorebirder Thank you for your lovely comment. Satpura national park is best place in central India to see sloth bear. When I used to work there I have seen nothing less then 4 to 5 sloth bear and its not like just sighting I have seen proper behaviour of sloth bear. I have worked in kanha national park, bandhavgarh national park, pench national park but the experience which i had with sloth bear in satpura I hadnot had anywhere before in my 8 year career of working as a naturalist.

Its lovely.

I would say everybody who come to India for wildlife should go to satpura national park.

Very nice photos @@Overland Expeditions India. I am particularly fond of Sloth Bears so was glad to see the photos.