Trip report Laikipia and Masai Mara in September

linjudy

Hi all,

We just returned from our trip to Laikipia (Laikipia Wilderness Camp) and Masai Mara (Kicheche Bush Camp and Rekero Camp). It was an awesome trip! This was our 3rd safari (previously to Botswana and Tanzania), and I think the best one yet!

Here is the first installment of my trip report, featuring Laikipia Wilderness Camp. Feedback and questions welcome! And thanks again for all your help in the trip planning process :)

https://goo.gl/photos/VfSrcjAz5dtjfH2A8

That site is blocked at my work. It looks to be a file sharing site, which is prohibited here. Bummer! Sounds like it was good though.

Loved the trip report, can't wait for part II. I like how you include part of the ecosystem in the pictures and not just portraits of animals.

What was that guy doing with the day old Eland kill?

My first safari will take me to Ol Pejeta among other places (Mara too) next September, so I am no expert, but I am surprised you can go so close to the wild dogs. Even to have them walk up to you, wow!

Didn't realize how quickly dogs consume their kill.

Enjoyed your report immensely.

Edited by Gilgamesh

@@amybatt, the site is just Google Photos. Hopefully you can see from home. I will try to figure out if I can upload some photos here. @@Gilgamesh, yes, we got incredibly close to the dogs! Were told there was never any incidents of the dogs eating people :)

@@amybatt, the site is just Google Photos. Hopefully you can see from home. I will try to figure out if I can upload some photos here. @@Gilgamesh, yes, we got incredibly close to the dogs! Were told there was never any incidents of the dogs eating people :)

Thank you!

And the lion kill of the Eland? looked like someone was picking at it ?

Edited by Gilgamesh

Sounds like it was a great 3 days. Truly outstanding dog sightings. You were spoiled.

@@Gilgamesh he is just having a look in that picture I believe.

I was very interested to read this report as I am thinking of going to LWC next year. Great photos!!!

Sounds like it was a great 3 days. Truly outstanding dog sightings. You were spoiled.

@@Gilgamesh he is just having a look in that picture I believe.

I see what you mean, it was a different picture before. With two people behind the kill with one holding what looked like a limb. So, was curious.

Thanks for sharing linjudy, great start; i look forward to the Mara installment. Also, the pictures of the painted digs against the red soil backdrop is really cool!

offshorebirder

@@amybatt - the goo.gl is a URL-shortening site - many organizations block URL shortening sites to protect against malware.

This is the URL the initial link redirects to - give this new one a shot:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNt7k4RBy7r-qgXFK7k11dt-Aibv33RSFPmtmiH9VxkFRhfbg5esioalXedcgQGoA?key=VHdSaEVIOGVHcWZUT1ZTTU1FREkxWDhPVklTaHd3

@@linjudy - lovely report. LWC looks like a special place and very lucky with the dog sightings.

Great report @@linjudy thanks so much for sharing - and I see you live in my neck of the woods - I'm down on the Peninsula! I'll be heading to LWC with my husband in February so it's great fun to see this - makes me anticipate it even more!

@@SafariChick, I think it was your great reviews of LWC that convinced us to go, so we have to than you! Have a great time there in Feb. Say hi to Steve and Mgombe for us :)

Thanks, @@Treepol. the hint about Google Photos seems to work. Posting some of my favorite photos from this part of the trip.

-WutXaCDDJhwD6Y471gJRN_j7txgxj4HvrnVdh6u

@@SafariChick, oh! Must be someone else with similar screen name :). Anyways, you'll have an incredible time!

Good to see the dog pack doing so well at LWC. Did Steve say how many packs there are now in the Laikipia area @@linjudy ?

Hi all,

We just returned from our trip to Laikipia (Laikipia Wilderness Camp) and Masai Mara (Kicheche Bush Camp and Rekero Camp). It was an awesome trip! This was our 3rd safari (previously to Botswana and Tanzania), and I think the best one yet!

Here is the first installment of my trip report, featuring Laikipia Wilderness Camp. Feedback and questions welcome! And thanks again for all your help in the trip planning process :)

https://goo.gl/photos/VfSrcjAz5dtjfH2A8

It sounds like an amazing trip, no it was an amazing trip, So many Elephants too, and some lovey photo's. I love the panorama shot of the hills, wonderful. Which river was it, Ewaso nyiro?

PS. Thanks to @@offshorebirder for the link. I could not access your one either :)

@@wilddog, Steve said there are 2 packs with radio collars. Not sure if there are more without. @@PHALANX, sorry, had enough trouble remembering animal names, so can't tell about the river!

I have part 2 (Masai Mara Olare Orok) all ready, but Google Photos sharing seems to be broken! !@#$#. I will post some of my favorite photos in the meantime.

hGkouIMqL6Tcn3fEyShpfWRM8kxuuPbhv7Q2Vw2T

igdrNqrZpJtq0sSalkx8DOAD0TsGx2FNYs4XyOlc

x2aBX24v8UUCO8Ws_n65Tyqgunp9s0Ux2i-esvMr

r6jSKhZWsx2XSnBzZTsb9-AkWicYk2XvlywgMZfy

JfPSIC-Bfuffs9PJgOh7AUyK_7_uBuEj8sF69ZZF

EWjPThuRppIoqABLMbTYcdpBxEwZxV-OfrwtX2-f

MrLxjgjBv1P0tt_LGbuBkaYDjgyINOibC1tnVbMt

ncZSYv1C9k8hQAf4Nfl3ARKi34CliSBhN2RexJfN

My goodness!

Love the migration panorama,...the mating lions is a master piece. The three giraffes in color and sunset silhouette of the wildebeest ....they are all absolutely stunning.

Edited by Gilgamesh