See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

DRC outbreak of serious violence

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

@Zim Girl - A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...  No sooner did I send the last message about choosing Lulimbi and saving Lowland Gorillas for another time, we learn Lulimbi Camp has been temporarily closed.  Now we are quite excited about adding Kahuzi-Biega NP and are awaiting proposals and confirmations.  Thank you for laying the foundation/idea for combining the two parks.

• Zim Girl likes this

#42 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,427 posts
  • Local time: 05:07 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:52 PM

We are going as planned.  Security fundamentals relative to tourists haven't changed much over the past year, particularly in north Kivu.  T and I have discussed the risks and have made our own, individual decisions.  I'm not sure I'd make the same decision on behalf of my minor children.  

30 days... 

@GBE So pleased you have decided that the trip is 'a go'. It sounds as though you are doing everything possible to stay out of harms way.

It will be fascinating to read about your adventures when you get back.  :)

• GBE likes this

#43 Zim Girl

Zim Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

@GBE

My pleasure!!

I hope you are able to add the Lowland gorillas into your itinerary.

#44 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:08 AM

a recent news report from human rights watch is very concerning

• the joint govt and opposition party commission which will run the elections later in the year is yet to be formed
  • the president  has yet to sign the agreement and has told the catholic church mediators that he is questing the provision for ruling out a constitutional; change referendum

so there could again be discussion of  another term  for the current president , which was the cause of all the problems before

DRC is on the list of the international crisis group at number 5 on a list of 10 places to watch for possible disturbances

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#45 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:29 AM

• allafrica com  citing  human rights first  states that the human rights researcher who was resident in the DRC  has had her visa cancelled and been deported ,she was taken to the  border by immigration officials and was seen to enter Rwanda
  • this is very concerning considering that they were the source of the most frequent and detailed news
  • this move leaves me with serious questions as to what might be happening
  • there are few foreign media representatives and the local media is heavily censored
  • I heard a BBC radio report in the last few days that the agreement for a transition of power is still yet to be signed by the president and there is talk of trying to renegotiate it

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#46 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:34 AM

I'm happy that i decided not to go the DRC in 2017 because I felt that it was just too insecure. it can wait.

#47 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

I really wonder if something truly awefull is being planned  and having no one around to report it is part of the scheme

#48 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:53 AM

@Zim Girl

@wilddog

Our final plan gave way to our more typical travel preferences and a certainty we will return.  Rather than spend the extra day and 1/2 transiting to Kahuzi-Biega and back we opted to add another day of gorilla trekking in Bukima, an extra day at Mikeno, and then close out our trip in Volcanoes NP in Rwanda.  At last minute we were able to get rooms as Mountain Gorilla View Lodge (will see @amybatt there) get a permits for a day gorilla trekking and two days Golden Monkey trekking.  This fits us as we like to spend more time in one place than moving every other night.  The certainty side is a future trip, probably 2019, combining Nyungwe with Kahuzi-Bienga.

Lest I forget, we are looking forward to meeting @Zarek Cockar.  We have a day in Nairobi before our late flight and he'll guide us through NNP and possibly Sheldrick's and/or Giraffe Manor.  We're keeping the day as open as possible to simply enjoy what's in front of us.  

82 hours, 39 minutes until our airport shuttle picks us up...  Time to think about packing!

Cheers

• amybatt, Zim Girl, optig and 1 other like this

#49 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

@COSMIC RHINO - There are a variety of news sources to get updates on what is happening in the DRC.  I use google search but I'm sure many of the other SE work as well.  I find reading multiple accounts of the same news event provides a more balanced and likely realistic picture of what is and is not happening.  

Not finding news doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but when it comes to security we have yet to read anywhere of tourists being targeted or even becoming 'collateral damage'.  This is especially true in eastern DRC, South Kivu and North Kivu specifically.  What I have found is individual reports from tourists ranging from members of organized tours to individuals traveling on their own.  What they have in common is a comment on not feeling in danger and moreover, feeling safer than in major cities in Africa and around the world.  We had concerns as we planned our trip.  The more we looked into those concerns it became quite apparent we were being guided by incomplete and miss information.  We are aware conditions could deteriorate and directly or indirectly impact us.  Being aware and following safety protocols make such impacts quite unlikely.  

That's our opinion, for what it's worth:-)

Cheers, 

• Zim Girl likes this

#50 Zim Girl

Zim Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

Have a fantastic time @GBE . I can't wait to hear all about it when you return, sounds like a great itinerary.

• GBE likes this

#51 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:39 AM

whilst tourists are not a target ,perhaps it is not the best time for a while to visit the DRC , a place which is rated on the fragile states index as one of the most risky in the world

it is certainly not a place for independent travel

the Eastern DRC is a region where armed  militias are active

Africa news is gathered together from multiple  world, inter African and national sources at allafrica com

I have checked separately DW radio and al Jazeera and there is nothing

there has not been that much since the agreement signed by some but not the president  in early January 2017, the news has mainly been soccer the African cup of Nations 

given that radio stations are jammed , the press is censored , most foreign journalists , some diplomats and their families have left for reasons of safety   and the representative of Human Rights Watch has been deported (not a good sign at all) , the current state of events is basically unknown 

violence could erupt and no one would know

the people are desperate and the security force are thugs

#52 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:50 AM

Negotiations continue on the sharing of power.  While effort was made to finalize and sign prior to the Bishops leaving for Geneva on Sunday, agreement was not reached.  However, direct discussions between the government and opposition continue.  As long as both sides are in discussions over a single issue there is very little headline news to print...  Other than football.

#53 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:52 AM

• it  is all very unfortunate
  • now the president  does not want to sign the agreement  and wants to remain open to the possibility of lifting the limit on terms of rule
  • doing this could bring the problems back 
  • talk is that the ultra violent M23 militia could become active again

the enough project  report on the DRC which I am progressively reading is disturbing,  senior army officers around the nation actually sell weapons to all those non state organised  militias

There are now 80 of them , having began from 2 and increasing by dividing from the existing groups then recruiting

#54 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

As with all countries there are places where one should not go and certain precautions to be taken.  

From our perspective and recent experience we believe there is very little risk visiting Virunga NP.  We are already considering a return to the DRC but to Kahuzi-Biega.

I hope to get a preliminary TR out in the next several days contrasting gorilla trekking in Virunga NP with Volcanoes NP.  There are differences to consider but security isn't one of them.

• wilddog, Zim Girl and drollawright like this

#55 drollawright

drollawright

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:23 AM

Hi @GBE, how was your trip to VNP? We will be leaving on a similar itinerary in a couple of months and I would love to read a summary of your experiences in Rwanda and DRC. I will keep an eye out for a TR from you.

#56 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:27 AM

as none of the parties were making any concessions the catholic church has called of the mediation talks

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.