See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

DRC outbreak of serious violence

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:30 AM

there are long term concerns about safety,stability and governance in this nation.

the latest news can be easily  found at all Africa news   go to countries  ,central Africa ,then congo Kinshasa 

most  recently the opposition  and the general population is concerned that President Kabila  may attempt to extend  his rule beyond the maximum period allowed in the constitution, there is an attempt to amend the constitution to allow this 

50 people  have been killed  in protests and the offices of the opposition parties have been burnt down.

Kenya and Ugandan truck drivers  have been held hostage for ransom by armed militas then  released  following action taken by the official security forces

very concerningly the representative  of human rights watch has been expelled 

overall on the fragile states index the DRC rates below Pakistan,iraq and Afganistan  and just above Syria.

this is a place with a whole lot of actual and threatened violence

there are special concerns now due to the transition of power, the presidency has never changed without violence

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 22 September 2016 - 09:55 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#2 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:47 AM

• This looks like a perfect mess
  • under the constitution the term of the government ends 20 Dec 2016
  • the climate of violence and protests makes it difficult to hold elections presently
  • the European union is threatening  sanctions if there are no elections held in 2017
  • current president Kabila came to power in the year 2001 following the assignation of his farther
  • his time to rule under the constitution has ended 
  • people believe that he might try to continue ruling regadless of this
  • following talks between the govt  and some of the opposition parties , the constitutional court has announced  an election date of April 2018
  • some opposition parties boycotted the talks 
  • the opposition is calling for strikes

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 19 October 2016 - 07:47 AM.

• optig likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#3 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Local time: 05:07 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:03 AM

I'm happy that the DRC isn't high on the list of places which I have to visit immediately. I'll go there eventually,but it won't be in 2018. It will probably take 5 years or even more until I visit probably in combination with Rwanda. I'm looking forward to it; in fact I can't wait.

#4 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Local time: 03:07 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:59 AM

I was / am planning a visit to the DRC for April 2017, a combination of Virumba, Lowland gorillas and a volcanoe hike. My daughter (13 years old) should join me. When I started planning this trip earlier this year I was hoping that by then the (initially for fall 2016) scheduled elections would have been over and things might have calmed down. Now I am seriously contemplating to cancel the journey, although it break our hearts since we have been really looking forward to this safari. However, I would like to ask the opinions of folks like @optig and others who live "closer to the action" - what would you do in my situation? The itinerary was / is:

April 09th Fly Nairobi to Kigali, ON in Kigalie

April 10th road trasnfer to DRC, ON at Mikeno

April 11th Mountain Gorillas, ON at Mikeno

April 12th leisure day at Mikeno

April 13th Volcanoe Hike, ON at Bandas

April 14th road / boat transfer to Bukavu, ON at Panorama

April 15th Lowland Gorillas, ON at Panorama

April 16th road transfer to Kigali, fly Kigali to Nairobi

thanks

• optig likes this

#5 Zim Girl

Zim Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 PM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

Hi @ice

We are also booked for DRC next year, in fact, I just booked the flights today.

We are not going until September so we are sitting tight and hoping for the best.

Our itinerary is:

Fly into Kigali and overnight at Mille Colines hotel.

Drive to DRC border next day and on to Bukavu, stay at Orchids Safari Lodge for 3 nts

2 treks booked for Lowland Gorillas

Transfer to Goma by boat/road, stay at Bukima Camp in Virunga NP for 3 nts

3 treks booked for Mountain Gorillas

2 nts at Mikeno Lodge

Road tfr back to Kigali

Visit Genocide Museum

Fly Kigali - Amsterdam - Manchester

All permits/accommodation/flights are booked so fingers crossed everything goes to plan.

I do hope you make the trip and look forward to hearing all about it.

• madaboutcheetah, michael-ibk, optig and 1 other like this

#6 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

I really hope that you love the DRC,as for myself I can't wait to visit. I'll visit the DRC in combination with Rwanda. I can hardly wait. The Eastern portion of the DRC in combination with Rwanda is high on list of places that I need to visit.

#7 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:10 AM

• at the moment  the places  which are safe to visit to see  mountain gorillas   in terms of not being caught up in potential political or inter communal  violence are Uganda  and Burundi 
  • currently it is best  to avoid both the DRC and Burundi as those risks are present
  • both nations  have street  protests  against the president staying past his constitutional limit for rule , the security forces  have and are likely to respond with violence
  • these disputes have lasted for months and show no signs of ending
  • the DRC is a long term failed state  due to the  activities of armed militas  and potential inter communal list
  • the newer term is fragile state , the fund for peace publishes an annual fragile states index
  • for news updates  please go to http://www.allafrica.com
  • if your nation's foreign affairs department  issues a do not travel warning , you are unlikely to get a refund  if you cancel your trip after paying for it
  • these east central African  nations are well known for active militas and the threat of inter communal violence which involves the Hutu and Tutsi 
  • in previous  years this violence killed tens of thousands of people
  • a recent human rights watch report describes the DRC as being at risk of breakdown
  • if you really want to visit the DRC or Brundi it is probably best to follow the news at allafrica, human rights watch and amnesty international and don't pay for your trip earlier  than needed
  • only travel with an agent, don't even think of independent travel

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 26 October 2016 - 06:14 AM.

• optig likes this

#8 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

Here is a detailed  report about the DRC

please see http://www.enoughproject.org  OCT 24  A CRIMINAL STATE UNDERSTANDING AND COUNTERING INSTITUTIONALIZED CORRUPTION IN THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO

just looking   briefly at the executive summary raises serious concerns

• army commanders are allowed to exploit resources and citizens
  • the elite are rewarded with resources and legal immunity, they will do anything to remain in power
  • armed rebel groups  are brought into the army, the army then takes on their abuse patterns

power has never changed peacefully in a democratic way

the DRC is rated worse than Syria on the fragile states index

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 28 October 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#9 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 07:38 AM

there are talks  between some of the opposition and the govt

the major opposition party  is staying out   awaiting release of political prisoners , and appointing a new  facilitator , the existing one is viewed as pro government

in the latest protests at lease 53 people have been killed  and 127 injure 

please see http://www.pambazuka.org/print/95625

reading the  enough project report is very interesting  

I can't see things changing, the commanders of the security forced are in on resource deals , and don't want a change in government which could alter.

things have not changed that  much in terms of  the elite getting it all , smaller people getting hurt  and a whole lot  of funds going missing since the time of King Leopold 

so independence  came and president  mobutu  took over ,keeping the basic pattern of the colonial economy.

he was thrown out by a rebellion, the first president kabila  took charge ,things go on,he gets assinated  ,his son takes over

the basic pattern of exploitation and neglect of the ordinary people goes on and on

they say that USD 4 biilion could go missing each year

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 31 October 2016 - 07:39 AM.

• optig likes this

#10 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

• from Jan 2014 to the present over 600 members of  police and army have been prosecuted for human rights violations 
  • a further delay of the elections to April 2018 has been announced
  • there are no talks with the opposition  who have rejected the new date and called for a general strike
  • the electoral commission sees not conflict of interest in being partly financed  by  a  bank  which the president's family has shares in .  the electoral commission has paid at least USD 2.5 million on a $25 million credit facility, they have recently withdrawn $7.5 million in cash

nothing is settling down in a hurry

the FRAGILE STATES INDEX is done by the fund for peace

all nations are accessed on  demographic  pressure  , pressure from refugees and internal displaced persons , uneven economic development , group grievance , human flight , economic decline , state legitimacy   , public services  , human rights and the rule  of law , the degree to which security only comes from state agencies  ,fractionalized elites  and external intervention  .

each item is scored out of ten, the lower the score the better

The DRC only has 3 scores under 9 , its overall score is 110, it is the only nation to 10 for human rights violations , it gets 9.7  for refugee pressures, group grievances, , poor public services , external  pressures  and 9.8 for factionalised elites.

the DRC is the first in a group of nations on very high alert

please see http://www.fundforpeace.org

#11 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

• a delegation from the UN security council had a visit to  the DRC, their concern is to have the president step down and not run again
  •  Human rights watch is concerned  that with no  clear commitment from the president to step down , that there is a good chance that there will be protests, with an excessive security forces response , which could result in widespread violence and chaos ,with potentially violatile repercussion across the region, please see https://www.hrw.org/print/296353

things are now uncertain an dangerous 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 14 November 2016 - 08:40 AM.

• optig likes this

#12 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:03 AM

• President  Kabila  on 16 NOV  gave a 45 minute  to parliament in which he stated that no going ahead  with an agreement to extend his term from 19 Dec 2016  to await the results of a March 2018 election  ,would be to act as a hostage of a fringe element of the political class
  • the governments of USA,UK, Canada and Australia warn against travel to the DRC.  both Canada and Australia  state do not go there under any circumstances
  • if a government travel warning has been issued  your insurance policy will not pay you if you  decide to cancel 

#13 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:20 AM

• as of  the middle of November  foreign broasdcasters  have 30  days to register as local companies  with a majority of local shareholding
  • failure to do so will result in their frequencies being suspended
  • specific mention was made of the BBC, Radio France and Voice of America
  • this sounds like censorship to me

#14 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:51 AM

It is just that, President Kabila is another big man who will do everything necessary to stay in power.

#15 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

I can't understand why he wants  to stay in power, President  Kabilia took over after his farther was assinated , the prudent thing would be to go into exile to some unknown place in December 2016.

the DRC is associated with  violence, ethnic conflict, armed militias , conflict timber, conflict minerals  and corruption

around 28 nov  at least 34 people were killed in an inter ethnic conflict in the eastern DRC

#16 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:02 AM

I have long believed that the DRC was Africa's sleeping giant, It's simply by far the richest country in the world in terms of minerals. It's also without a doubt Africa's most varied country,and richest in culture. It should be and could be Africa'd breadbasket. Due to Chinese investment it;s due to become the largest producer of hydroelectic power in Africa. As we all know it also has considerable potential as a tourist destination,and not just in the Eastern part of the D.R,C. It's an old problem once in power African big men will do anything to cling to it. 

I'll just have to keep postponing my proposed visit.

#17 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:52 AM

DRC has massive potential , in practice all the benefits go to a tiny elite , and the threats of violence are very serious 

well  keep the foreign reporters and visitors  away , so the powerfull  actors can do whatever  they want, and once again the ordinary people loose out

#18 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:58 AM

pres Kabilia  last constitionally valid day in office is rapidly approaching

the catholic church is trying a late meditation session , who knows what will happen but some parties have declared their interest of not being involved in the mediation 

#19 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:58 AM

There is a serious problem in that whatever benefits are gotten from mining are only going to the tiniest elite which surrounds the President. It will take decades for the Congolese people to derive any real benefit from their country's natural resources.

#20 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:49 AM

in the DRC  it looks like  all the benefits of any resources  go to a tiny elite and the masses suffers

as I have stated before it us beyond me why pres kabilia wants to remain in office  , he took over as  after his farther was assinatated , how does he know he will be safe , or is he into just grabbing all that he can regardless of any other factors

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.