See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Sabi Sands + Chobe NP - need advice on lodging etc.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 simby

simby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 03:01 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:21 AM

hi, i am looking for advice on Sabi Sand and Chobe NP

travel date is southern hemisphere winter months - June, July, or August 2017

there are 3 of us in traveling party

For SS, plan to stay 4D3N and keep the budget to 5000 ZAR pppn max. 

that should eliminate many choices.

however, i am still left with enough options and confused on the following

1/  do i need to pay single supplement for a 3rd person? do i avoid that by sharing same room, or choose lodging that has 'triple/family room'? any recommendation on lodging based on this criteria and above budget? i should also mention that i like lodges that have waterhole in front of them. 

2/  is north or south SS better ? which area has better game? really would like to see leopards and rhinos and the usual lions. can jeeps from lodging in the north access area in south by crossing the river and vice versa? my definition of north vs south is the area divided by the Sand River traversing through it   http://www.sabisands...i_sands_map.asp

3/  which lodge has jeeps that sit only 2 people across, thereby ensuring no one is in the middle?
4/  is it further to drive to panoramic route from northern sabi sand vs southern sabi sand?

For Chobe NP, plan to stay 3D2N and am looking at the houseboats to get the 'river safari' experience. 

would like to keep the budget to < $400 USD pppn

1/  how many houseboats companies are there out there? it seems like the most well-known are the Zambezi Queen and Chobe Princess. i noticed Chobe Princess actually dock outside the Chobe NP (Impalila Island) and not located within? and Zambezi Queen is outside of my budget. 

2/  can you do river safari only on houseboat, or can you also do land safari (by paying extra, i guess)?

3/  if i dont do houseboat, then i think it would be nice to have a tented camp (canvas) experience. what are my options besides 'Chobe Under Canvas'?

any advice will be appreciated, thank you!

Edited by simby, 22 September 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#2 pomkiwi

pomkiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:49 PM

@simby  Apologies for my late response - I missed your post intially.  I can give some info on the Sabi Sands.

Some lodges will have one or more rooms without a single supplement, sometimes all of the time and sometimes at set periods. Nottens Bush camp in the Sabi Sands has rates within your budget and has a single room that they don't publicise it is fine though. On my two stays with them they never had more than 2 guests in the same row of the vehicles.

Traversing areas vary by lodge but overall I think that the chances of good game sighting are similar throughout the Sabi Sands. I don't think that it matters much whether you are in the north or the south. A number of lodges aong the river are likely to traverse areas on both sides of the river.  The map on tis page may give you an idea:  http://www.pridelodg...ves/sabi-sands/

I haven't driven fron the Sabi Sands but I don't think there is much difference in time taken to access the Panorama route.

As an alternative which has cheaper options it might be worth looking at the Timbavati - I had excellent sightings there earlier this year and will be returning to Kambaku next year.

No personally informed info on Chobe yet I'm afraid - for the future........

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.