xelas

Actually, replying while waiting to bord the plane ?? in Ljubljana!

Your shots of the city are as captivating as the animals. Very colorful trucks. The Tourists are Out, part 2 is a real winner. Beautiful birds in the water. Clever cleaning lady. You'll get those leopards (and the Blue Maggie) and they'll serve to enhance your outstanding Sri Lanka portfolio!

You two are adventuresome! I suppose after the Grootberg ascent, it's all easy as pie. ^_^

Great report, beautiful photos as usual. Anyone on the fence about self drive in Sri Lanka will gain confidence after reading this.

Thanks, @@Atravelynn ! Really appreciate when such words came from such an expert traveller as you are. One day I might ask Michael if We could join you?!

Thanks, @@Atravelynn ! Really appreciate when such words came from such an expert traveller as you are. One day I might ask Michael if We could join you?!

That would be lovely!

Dave Williams

Brilliant report Alex. Should encourage anyone who reads it to visit. It's not pure safari in Sri Lanka but there is something for everyone, often very important to choosing a destination.

Alex,

I know you are already away on safari in South Africa, really hope for you to have a fantastic time and get your Leopard there!

Very impressed that you managed to finish this report just in time, well done. Really enjoyed the report, Sri Lanka is a country I´m sure I would like a lot, though I confess I probably would never do it the self-drive way. You convinced me that it is entirely possible to safely do this, but I also think one has to really appreciate driving to enjoy it that way. Well, if we did Sri Lanka, I hope we could maybe join up with an expert driver I happen to know, he is from Slovenia.

That spare-tyre guy was lucky you did not red-hulk out completely. ;-)

Magnificent pictures as always, Zvezda really knows how to catch moments - and you did very well when you managed to steal the camera. I have to say that I found the non-wildlife photos (landscapes, people, monuments, streets) just as captivating as animal ones. The accomodations look really nice - except for the "dungeon" of course.

Thanks for another great report. :)

fantastic report and absolutely gorgeous photos! The culture, the birds, the daily life...looks amazing. I may have to add Sri Lanka to my bucket list---although I fear we would never self-drive (hubby doesn't even like driving in the USA!)

I see the 200-500 lens did very well for you! Its really the perfect wildlife/travel lens.

@@michael-ibk

Thank you so much, Michael. I really pushed Zvezda double-time to finish this report in time. Thus we have to postpone the Seewinkel birding trip.

I am looking forward to when you and Andreas will be able to put Sri Lanka on your travel list. You can test me before, I am still hoping to return to Costa Rica in 2018 accompanied by you expert birders.

@@janzin

The traffic situation is blown way out of proportion ... but then hiring a private driver is really easy, and maybe even less expensive than renting a car. No tigers in Sri Lanka but it has a great mix if wildlife and culture, and is surely easier to navigate then India. Plus there are some gorgeous beaches availble for those that would like to end the safari with relax.

The 200-500 is a gem! It perfomed great in Sri Lanka now it is on-duty in Kruger!

Edited by xelas

@@xelas

I am terribly late to your report, but the good news is, you are well along with it and I can now slowly savor every moment. I've been looking forward to this one for a long time, and I can already tell it was well worth the wait. So many new sights and sounds from a part of the world to which I've not yet had the opportunity to see.

@@Alexander33

Glad to read you are enjoying this report, while at the same time we are enjoying yet another great trip. So more to write (and read) before the year ends.

• 8 months later...
JolantaHess

Greetings Xelas, I followed your postings on Fodor's Costa Rica forum and we ended up going to Osa and Uvita staying at the same places you did based on your descriptions!  We are currently planning a three week trip to Sri Lanka and have accidentally found this site and your trip report which are both informative and enchanting..  My husband does not want to do self-drive and we are skeptical about having a driver for the entire time.  We do however want to have a good guide for Yala and Udawalawe.  We were thinking of getting a guide through Richard's Cabanas but then I read about your guide and wonder how you found him and do you have his contact information.  Also since we have not resolved the car/driver issue we are now thinking of having a car/driver for some of the trip and perhaps getting Richards Cabanas provide a car if your guide (Prassana?) could come down to meet us.  Thank you in advance.

Temporary fishermen post

post-47185-0-79228500-1476611497_thumb.jpg

Salt pans near Bundala

post-47185-0-00615300-1476611500_thumb.jpg

post-47185-0-09793400-1476611502_thumb.jpg

A postcard

post-47185-0-13428300-1476611506_thumb.jpg

Hello, @JolantaHess and welcome to Safaritalk, the best web site for any serious traveler! I am happy to share info with you, and will send you a message through Safaritalk.