See all Safaritalk Special Offers

offshorebirder

'Extinct' Tasmanian Tiger videotaped in Australia

10 posts in this topic

WOW!

https://www.rt.com/viral/359671-tasmanian-tiger-spotted-camera/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3793848/Is-incredible-footage-appearing-extinct-Tasmanian-Tiger-running-fields-Victoria-proof-Thylacine-exists.html

Maybe this apparent proof will knock the Australian Government off its pedestal of inaction and it will rush to put conservation measures in place (like banning the poisoning of feral dogs and other threats).

The jury's out on the latest videos because these sightings have been on the mainland. Physical evidence of mainland thylacines is at least several thousand years old so the scientists are naturally very cautious. Sightings in Tasmania have been steady over the years and the extinction year of 1936 is based on the death of Benjamin, the last captive animal. I attended an exhibition at the museum a few years ago with interviews and recordings with reliable people who'd claimed to see them but without physical evidence it is impossible to declare the species non extinct.

Neil Waters is a local and has compiled a large array of evidence but he is working with mainland sightings, already convinced that the thylacine is still alive in Tassie. Given that they are likely to be susceptible to the facial tumour virus, any surviving animals would be under even greater threat. There aren't foxes on the island so baiting is less of an issue. Neil has some convincing video of tracks taken in Tassie and claims to have faeces from a mainland thylacine but is yet to have it tested.

I very sensible and stable friend of mine claimed to see one in the 1990s here in The Adelaide Hills. We live in hope but my money is on Tasmania.

The hind leg of the animal in the video has the hock joint too far from the foot and the ears are much more pointed if compared to specimens but I'm no expert and certainly the information regarding stripes is interesting.

2 people like this

I see a mangy, injured fox in it, but call me a cynic.

With all the camera trapping these days it would be pretty hard to go undetected if people really look for you.

I see a chupacabra! ;) I wonder why it has taken so long for this video to be released?

very interesting as mentioned above in great detail this one has been going around for many years

Another poor quality "big-foot" video *yawn*.

It could be tasmanian tiger..but the way it was hopping made me think it was something else...by the way if its true then truely a great news..

I think it was hopping due to a leg injury.

Yes I thought the first video section showed it limping. That tail does not IMO look like a fox. Beyond that...no idea.

1 person likes this

Just one question.

Why is Big foot, Yeti, Loch ness, Tasmanian tiger and other myths always filmed with a camera from the ´60:s??

Even in times were everyone have a high resolution camera in their phones. I found it really funny...

1 person likes this