kittykat23uk

Borneo- clouded leopard quest - join me in Feb 2017?

12 posts in this topic

Hi all

I am looking for one or more people to join me to return to Borneo next year, currently planning for February. Guided by Mike of Adventure Alternative Borneo these guy have had success with that most sought-after of cats, the clouded leopard and this trip is tailored to give us the best chance of success by spending a lot of time on night drives in the forest of Deramakot and Danum Valley. I need one or more companions to join me to be able to make the trip affordable. Happy to room share.

Outline itinerary is:

Days 1-5: Danum and Kawag (3 and 2 nights) - entry point Lahad Datu

airport, meet by AA B driver

Days 6/7: Sukau homestay - breaks up journey between Kawag and Deramakot -

chance for flat headed cat, ground cuckoo, 2 x river cruise per day and a

visit to Gomongtong caves - good area for red leaf monkeys and orangutans

and of course smelly caves and bird nests.

Days 8-14: Deramakot, inc 2 hour night drives each night, extra time pay

cash locally to guide.

Day 15: Depart, private transfer Sandakan or Kota Kinabalu

There will be loads of birds and mammals to see. Check out my last Borneo trip report for a taster.http://safaritalk.net/topic/12548-birds-beasts-and-bugs-trekking-in-sabah-borneo/?hl=borneo

But what makes this trip extra special is that it's guided and we'll do night drives to look for nocturnal mammals and birds!

Here's a trip report from Deramakot (not mine) http://mammalwatching.com/Oriental/Otherreports/RW%20Sabah%202016.pdf

Please let me know if you are interested in joining me, as I am really keen to go! :)

Jo

1 person likes this

Oh my! I didn't even know it was possible to do a trip with even the remote chance of seeing one! Hopefully in a few years time I'll have a decently paid job (fieldwork for conservation NGO's in Africa and phd's don't pay that well...) and be able to make trips like this!

1 person likes this

This sounds a tremendous trip @@kittykat23uk and one I would love to join you on. Unfortunately my time working in Malaysia comes to an end this coming November, and after a year of 'commuting' from the UK I'm reluctant to add another flight so soon after I am back home.

I had an excellent (albeit cat-less) trip to Sabah last August, visiting several of the areas you mention. We stayed at Sukau Rainforest Lodge and a Clouded Leopard had been sighted there a couple of days before our arrival.

Good luck finding a travel companion - hopefully this photo taken near Gomantong Caves (yes, jolly smelly!) will help encourage someone to join you.

29136031495_87be590288_b.jpg2R4C1413 by Whyone, on Flickr

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

@@kittykat23uk aikes. sounds like a great trip but I can't do next year. already have a couple of overseas trips planned and no more leave left over.. Hope you find someone!

Edited by Kitsafari

Thanks all @@egilio well obviously there are no guarantees but they are having quite a lot of success at Deramakot and they have also recently seen sun bear there as well! Marbled cat is also a possibility. Lovely picture @@Whyone? We had great orangutan sightings at DVFC and BRL.

1 person likes this

Also Mike says that in the last two months he's had 10+ sightings of sun bears! Including a mother and cub just last night! What an amazing place!

Cool trip. You do lots of those. I won't be joining you, but I'll check out the report!

1 person likes this

Thanks @@Atravelynn

1 person likes this

HI @@kittykat23uk, just wondering if you got any takers. Out of the blue we might be doing Borneo next spring with another couple. We are still very much in the planning stages though. It seems like Feb can still see lots of rain. So, I am curious if you picked that month out of necessity or choice?

Thanks

Alan

@@Atdahl Hi Alan,

I haven't found anyone to join me as yet so I would be interested to know more of your plans if that's what you're asking me. :)

I have been offered an opportunity to join a group of five for Deramakot at least between Feb 3 to 7 . Waiting for a price on that. Ideally I want to do two weeks or a little bit longer.

I have to take my leave before the end of the financial year so I am pretty much constrained to going in the new year before the end of march. Within that period I am flexible.

If you look at the rainfall chart for Sabah, Feb actually looks like one of the drier months. Tom Hewitt says the weather patterns are all over the place these dsys anyway so it's a rough guide and obviously with it being a rain forest you can expect variable weather.

Richard Webb and Mike, who guides the tour at Deramakot both advised that rain wouldn't negatively impact on chance of clouded leopard (unless it is so heavy that we just can't get out at night on the roads of course) and that the leopards might in fact favour the roads more if there is a wetter period and there is no particular time of year which seems to deliver more consistent sightings.

All the best

Jo

Thanks for the reply Jo. The trip is more of a "Generalist" trip with birds, mammals, and herps being the target. We are still shopping around for itineraries but are looking at Kinabalu, Sepilok, Deramakot, Sakau, and Danum. The problem might be finding a knowledgeable guide for Deramakot that can also do the rest (aside from Danum which we plan to book direct).

We are looking at March/April but it's good to know that February might not be a wash out. I know it's hard to plan around today's weather patterns.

I just re-read your awesome Borneo Trip Report from 2014 and wonder if we should add Tabin too. There is just so much to see there and not enough time :) .

@@Atdahl Well my interest is also very general as you have probably gathered from my last trip trip report . The main difference being that I want to do some extended night drives for the nocturnal mammals. I had planned to use AA Borneo tours for the whole trip. It's fair to say Mike is less genned up on birds than mammals. Not sure how he is on herps.