Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wolfden

AI Servo AF settings for Canon 5D Mk iii/Mkiv

5 posts in this topic

I have just purchased a Canon EOS 5D Mk iv. I’ve had all the previous 5Ds. I have been on several self-drive safaris in Kruger Nat. Pk. in South Africa. I will be traveling to Botswana and Zimbabwe in January for a few weeks.

I would like some advice on the AI Servo AF settings people have found generally useful. In the past, I have just had my camera on AI Focus and have missed some good shots. Any suggestions for camera settings would be greatly appreciated. The instructions in the manual and what I have found on line don't seem to be clear enough for me.

I have no knowledge of Canon AF systems, but have you looked at Grant Atkinson's blog?

You may need to practice to make it clear.

Grant Atkinson's blog is a good starting place for sure, but if that is too complicated and practicing with settings doesn't make things clearer come back and tell us. Don't over-think it. Detault AI Servo settings are not bad at all. The most important one is probably how sticky you want AF to be once it locks on - and the focus area selection.

Consider switching to back button focus with AI Servo.

But it's not magic. You need to practice and see what suits you.

Lucky you @@wolfden!

AI Servo I have found can create a few issues on stationary subjects (depending on lens), so I would set up a button to be able to switch to one shot focus at the touch of a button.

As Paul has said, if you use BBF then like this you have the best of both worlds.

As far as I have read (i.e. lusted) the AF system comes from the 1DxMkII so should be pretty amazing.

Ha I didn't notice the a mkiv bit. I'd say ignore what I said but some of it still stands (just) I guess!