Eagle from Mana Pools, please help with ID

hubertj

I captured this eagle on my recent trip to Mana Pools, near Ruckomechi Camp. I'm really happy about the shot, but I have problem with identification, as I'm rather new to birding and definitely no expert in African birds. My guess is, that this might be a juvenile bateleur (because at the same time I observed the adult one flying a little bit further), but would be grateful if anyone could confirm it or help with the correct id. Thanks in advance !

28976603074_c6e69b28be_b.jpg

28976602274_459b1ecccb_b.jpg

Lovely shot. Hopefully this means we will see your Mana Trip Report soon.@@hubertj.

You will no doubt have an appreciative audience :)

Hello @@madaboutcheetah ,

Tawny Eagle was my other guess, but his tail seemed a bit short (but as I said - I'm amateur). Thanks for your help. Do you think this is adult or juvenile?

@hubertj @madaboutcheetah I think it's an immature Bateleur. Bluish facial skin & bill with black tip, brown eyes, pale blue feet, and very short tail with feet extending to end of tail in flight (1st pic).

madaboutcheetah

Ouch! sorry for that ......

@@Geoff - thank you, that was my way of thinking. Eagle species are not always easy to distinguish (especially when it comes to juveniles), isn't it?

--

Thank you @@wilddog. We had a great time there, and I already miss Mana. But I'm a bit hesitant about the trip report. There were already so many magnificent and well written Mana Pools reports on Safaritalk, that I'm afraid that I will not be able to offer anything close to that level, mostly because I don't feel very comfortable writing in English (I usually feel my English vocabulary is simply too poor to express everything I would like). But I will think about it, as we have some really good sightings.

@@hubertj These TR's are not a competition so please do not worry . Nor about your English. So far it is excellent. :)

We have a lot of Mana enthusiasts in Safaritalk (including myself) and we follow the latest news from visitors with great interest.

Just a few pictures and what for you were the most exciting moments would be lovely, if you are willing.

The juvenile Bataleur image is stunning!

If these two photos are an example of what you are capable of, I definately want to see more!

@@hubertj yes please do show us more photos and whatever amount of a report you are comfortable with. I agree with @@wilddog that from what I've seen so far, your English is excellent, so please don't worry about that!

@@wilddog, @@SafariChick - thank you. I'm not too worried about my english in general, but about the amount of time I need to write any longer piece (I usually find myself looking for missing words in Google Translate again and again, which is getting frustrating and discouraging in a long run). But ok, I'll make an attempt with my TR. I think this time it may still be fun, with so much good memories from Mana. Please give me some time :)