hubertj

Eagle from Mana Pools, please help with ID

11 posts in this topic

I captured this eagle on my recent trip to Mana Pools, near Ruckomechi Camp. I'm really happy about the shot, but I have problem with identification, as I'm rather new to birding and definitely no expert in African birds. My guess is, that this might be a juvenile bateleur (because at the same time I observed the adult one flying a little bit further), but would be grateful if anyone could confirm it or help with the correct id. Thanks in advance !

28976603074_c6e69b28be_b.jpg

28976602274_459b1ecccb_b.jpg

6 people like this

Tawny Eagle

1 person likes this

Lovely shot. Hopefully this means we will see your Mana Trip Report soon.@@hubertj.

You will no doubt have an appreciative audience :)

1 person likes this

Hello @@madaboutcheetah ,

Tawny Eagle was my other guess, but his tail seemed a bit short (but as I said - I'm amateur). Thanks for your help. Do you think this is adult or juvenile?

1 person likes this

@hubertj @madaboutcheetah I think it's an immature Bateleur. Bluish facial skin & bill with black tip, brown eyes, pale blue feet, and very short tail with feet extending to end of tail in flight (1st pic).

1 person likes this

Ouch! sorry for that ......

@@Geoff - thank you, that was my way of thinking. Eagle species are not always easy to distinguish (especially when it comes to juveniles), isn't it?

--

Thank you @@wilddog. We had a great time there, and I already miss Mana. But I'm a bit hesitant about the trip report. There were already so many magnificent and well written Mana Pools reports on Safaritalk, that I'm afraid that I will not be able to offer anything close to that level, mostly because I don't feel very comfortable writing in English (I usually feel my English vocabulary is simply too poor to express everything I would like). But I will think about it, as we have some really good sightings.

1 person likes this

@@hubertj These TR's are not a competition so please do not worry . Nor about your English. So far it is excellent. :)

We have a lot of Mana enthusiasts in Safaritalk (including myself) and we follow the latest news from visitors with great interest.

Just a few pictures and what for you were the most exciting moments would be lovely, if you are willing.

The juvenile Bataleur image is stunning!

2 people like this

If these two photos are an example of what you are capable of, I definately want to see more!

3 people like this

@@hubertj yes please do show us more photos and whatever amount of a report you are comfortable with. I agree with @@wilddog that from what I've seen so far, your English is excellent, so please don't worry about that!

1 person likes this

@@wilddog, @@SafariChick - thank you. I'm not too worried about my english in general, but about the amount of time I need to write any longer piece (I usually find myself looking for missing words in Google Translate again and again, which is getting frustrating and discouraging in a long run). But ok, I'll make an attempt with my TR. I think this time it may still be fun, with so much good memories from Mana. Please give me some time :)

3 people like this