See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Really Belated Greetings from Portlandia

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Swazicar

Swazicar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 05:35 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:01 AM

According to my profile, I've been an ST member since October 2014, so I guess this is a bit late; still on Africa time, I guess.  I do plan to post a few questions in the not-too-distant future, so I guess I should say something pertinent about myself.

I'm a Baltimoron by upbringing, but I left that city in about 1980, subsequently living in Boulder, Colorado (for 6 years), Washington, D.C. (also for 6 years), both Swaziland and Central African Republic (each for about 2 years), and Portland, Oregon, for the past 18 years.  That means I'm older than 21.

Somewhere in there, I did refugee policy work and focused initially on the former Yugoslavia, and later on portions of Africa.  I've done shockingly little traveling in the New World, but have visited about half the countries in Africa.

On the animal front, until last year, all of my traveling was of the low-budget variety.  In the mid-80s (while living in Swaziland), I hitchhiked widely throughout southern Africa.  I've also traveled overland through (then) Zaire, seeing mountain gorillas there a couple of times, and throughout much of Central African Republic (seeing forest elephants there in the early 90s).  My current usual annual trip is a week or two sea kayaking off Vancouver Island, with the occasional trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, or some other park thrown in.

Last year, I successfully lobbied the missus for a trip to southern Africa to see some of the old stomping grounds.  We spent about five weeks traveling, mostly in Namibia and Botswana.  Presently, I'm planting the seeds for a trip to South Luangwa, the topic of my future questions.

That's about all there is to know.  Oh, and I like IPAs.

-tom a.

portland, oregon

• madaboutcheetah, COSMIC RHINO, pault and 3 others like this

#2 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:01 AM

Welcome, it is good to have you  here

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#3 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,932 posts
  • Local time: 02:35 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:41 AM

Welcome Tom, we´ve already seen some cracking photos from you, and I´m looking forward to seeing more.

#4 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  • Local time: 04:35 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:17 AM

I love contacting new members who share my enthusiasm for going on safari. I'm delighted that due to your earlier work,you can bring a very different perspective to Safari talk

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,183 posts
  • Local time: 07:35 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:33 AM

Welcome. Better late than never to come out of the shadows. I won;t be able to help with your questions but there are many who can.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#6 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

...and a really belated G'day & welcome.

Geoff.

#7 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,624 posts
  • Local time: 05:35 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:08 PM

A belated welcome from Northern California. Portland - great city - and Portlandia - great show. Put a bird on it!

#8 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 08:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

Welcome- I also started out in Baltimore though it's been many years for me as well. I'm only slightly over 21  :)    IPA's are a wonderful thing aren't they?

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.