Kruger: Bottom to Top

Robjwilli

Hi All,

I've read so many great trip reports on this site that I thought I should share my rather modest effort. Hopefully this will be of interest to anyone planning a Kruger Park trip in the near future or suffering from the post-safari blues. http://www.robjwilli.com/kruger-national-park-march-2015/

My report covers a trip I did last year over two weeks and covering the entire park from Malelane gate at the Southern border up to Punda Maria in the North along with a selection of photos from our various sightings.

Our route saw us staying at the following camps: Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie (3 nights), Satara (3 nights), Mopani (3 nights), Punda Maria (2 nights) and finally Letaba.

Hope you find it interesting, feel free to ask any questions!

Cheers, Rob

Thank you, a very enjoyable report, well told and with lots of terrific photos! You really saw great variety.

Many, many Leopard sightings, always wonderful, and you had one on your very first drive. That Lion "King" on day 3 is magnificent indeed. I enjoyed all the beautiful bird shots, but have to single out the Giant Kingfisher one - wonderful, really jealous about that one.

Flying green snakes? Scary stuff, tell your friends it was a Green Mamba, they will be more impressed that way. ;)

Agree with Duiker and Reedbucks for the photos where you were not sure.

That mega Elephant herd is a really impressive sighting. As is that tusker on the last day! Really like the Croc crossing, and of course the Klippspringers on the way out.

Thank you for sharing, and I am looking forward to your Namibia report next year!

Thank you, a very enjoyable report, well told and with lots of terrific photos! You really saw great variety.

Many, many Leopard sightings, always wonderful, and you had one on your very first drive. That Lion "King" on day 3 is magnificent indeed. I enjoyed all the beautiful bird shots, but have to single out the Giant Kingfisher one - wonderful, really jealous about that one.

Flying green snakes? Scary stuff, tell your friends it was a Green Mamba, they will be more impressed that way. ;)

Agree with Duiker and Reedbucks for the photos where you were not sure.

That mega Elephant herd is a really impressive sighting. As is that tusker on the last day! Really like the Croc crossing, and of course the Klippspringers on the way out.

Thank you for sharing, and I am looking forward to your Namibia report next year!

Thanks Michael, appreciate you taking the time to read all of that! I look forward to sharing my Namibian adventure next year, hopefully we'll be lucky with more special sightings and photo opportunities.

What a wonderful Trip report @@Robjwilli and great photo's as well.

Mandzemba is a fantastic looking Elephant with super tusks.

I have never seen Eland in kruger - well done on this sighting.

Great to see some Tsessebe as well.

Thanks again.

A very enjoyable read. Nice job with the editing.

You have excelled with the European Rollers! I'm sure the dead hippo was beginning to get fragrant. A rollover due to brake failure, very disturbing. Love the wrestling hyenas and necking giraffes. That Mandzemba is quite an impressive ele! So close to a lion kill. I have read lions are successful 20% of the time, but that is very dependent on the pride size and skill. At least you got to see a happy couple. Saw a shot of my fav Hoopoe bird.

You had an action packed 2 weeks!

@@Robjwilli thanks for this Kruger 'in total' TR - not something I have seen or read before I don't think.

You were so lucky with leopard sightings, Big 5 days and the European Rollers of course.

@Robywilli

Finally I've got time to read your report! Perfect timing for us as we will stay 8 days in the upper part of Kruger in about 6 weeks from today. Love your photos, and hopefully we will share some of your excellent sightings.

As for returning to Namibia, you will enjoy it! I think nothing much have changed in last 17 years.

And I am sure we will enjoy yet another great trip report. Do post a link when done.

Edited by xelas

What a wonderful Trip report @@Robjwilli and great photo's as well.

Mandzemba is a fantastic looking Elephant with super tusks.

I have never seen Eland in kruger - well done on this sighting.

Great to see some Tsessebe as well.

Thanks again.

Thanks Hads, we were very lucky with some unusual sightings!

A very enjoyable read. Nice job with the editing.

Thanks very much, it took a lot longer than I thought to write it up and pick my favourite pictures. Hopefully my next one will be a nit quicker

You have excelled with the European Rollers! I'm sure the dead hippo was beginning to get fragrant. A rollover due to brake failure, very disturbing. Love the wrestling hyenas and necking giraffes. That Mandzemba is quite an impressive ele! So close to a lion kill. I have read lions are successful 20% of the time, but that is very dependent on the pride size and skill. At least you got to see a happy couple. Saw a shot of my fav Hoopoe bird.

You had an action packed 2 weeks!

Glad you liked the Hoopoe bird. The light was fading fast when I took that and I only bothered as it was the first one of the trip. I assumed there would be more opportunities but we never saw another so it just goes to show you need to make the most of things while you can!

@@Robjwilli thanks for this Kruger 'in total' TR - not something I have seen or read before I don't think.

You were so lucky with leopard sightings, Big 5 days and the European Rollers of course.

I thought it might be useful to people on here as my trip covered a wide area and hopefully gives an idea of what the different areas of the park are like. In hindsight I wish I had taken more landscape pictures....next time maybe!

In future trips we will probably stick to a smaller area and maybe try some of the private camps for a change.

@Robywilli

Finally I've got time to read your report! Perfect timing for us as we will stay 8 days in the upper part of Kruger in about 6 weeks from today. Love your photos, and hopefully we will share some of your excellent sightings.

As for returning to Namibia, you will enjoy it! I think nothing much have changed in last 17 years.

And I am sure we will enjoy yet another great trip report. Do post a link when done.

@@xelas I'm sure you'll have a great trip and I look forward to hearing all about it. Where will you be staying?

@@Robjwilli

In Kruger? Punda Maria Rest Camp x 2, Shingewedzi Rest Camp x 3, Shimuwini Bush Camp x 2, Olifants Rest Camp x 3. Outside 2 nights above Louis Trichard on arrival, and one night near Graskop on departure.

Any advices on sunset drives, game drives, birding?

Nice work with your blog. Some good pics with the Roller image especially so.

@@Robjwilli

In Kruger? Punda Maria Rest Camp x 2, Shingewedzi Rest Camp x 3, Shimuwini Bush Camp x 2, Olifants Rest Camp x 3. Outside 2 nights above Louis Trichard on arrival, and one night near Graskop on departure.

Any advices on sunset drives, game drives, birding?

Hi Xelas, not sure if you've been before so apologies if this is all old news to you.

Punda Maria camp has a great waterhole very close to the back fence of the campground, check that out with a cold beer!

Near to Punda Maria is the Mahonie Loop which is a great road circuit to do. Great scenery and plenty of wildlife.

Make sure you get up to the Pafuri area at the northern extreme of the park for the massive trees and great birding.

Shingewedzi is a nice old camp on the river, we plan to stay there in the future.

On your travels the restaurant at Mopani camp has a great viewing over the dam with plenty of elephant activity while you eat.

There are two bird hides nearby as well, the one on the river is very private and quiet.

Olifants is just so special perched up high and overlooking the river, another view to enjoy.

Also, Olifants makes a great base to visit Letaba camp (the elephant museum is good) as well as down to Satara where you've got a good chance of large herds of plains animals and the accompanying lions.

Never been to shimuwini bush camp but look forward to hearing your thoughts...I enjoyed a couple of other smaller camps Kruger has to offer in the past.

It will be my first visit, Rob, so every bit of information is welcomed! Thank you, and I will "pay back" with a trip report.

Nice work with your blog. Some good pics with the Roller image especially so.

Cheers Geoff, it was my first attempt so I appreciate the feedback.

@@xelas I am looking forward to your feedback on your trip to Shimuwini bush camp.

I will be in Kruger for 8 nights in December and have booked 2 nights there as well (4 satara and 2 lower sabie)

It looks like I better took good notices during our trip! But yes, there will be a trip report, hopefully before your departure, @@Hads .

Fantastic stuff! A top-to-bottom of Kruger is something I and many others no doubt want to do. Great pics too!