Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FLINTUS

Serra da Canastra and EMAS, Brazil

8 posts in this topic

Anyone been to either of these? Any opinions on which is better please? Trip reports are available on mammalwatching, but no-one appears to have been to both. We plan to self-drive(July or August), so that is another consideration.

Any other recommendations for the best parks for wildlife in Brazil(excluding the Pantanal and the Amazon); that said, if anyone has any tips for self driving from Cuiaba, that would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

I am investigating this myself as I´m into a Brazil-trip next year.

As I understand it after E-mailing with tour operators and some reading online is this:

* Canastra and Emas are quite equal in Giant Anteaters but you seems to get closer to them in Canastra, just a few metres if your lucky. I think you will definetely see them on both places though.

* Better chances for Maned Wolfs during daytime in Canastra.

* Birding is better in Emas.

* Tapir is better in Emas

* Giant Armadillo is hard on both places but possible. You need some luck.

I think I have decided in Canastra for two reasons. Maned Wolfs and the fact that it is lesser visited make it interesting.

Please share if you have some more info about the difference between them.

Edited by Antee

Thank you for that.

EMAS looks more visited by the 'big' wildlife tour companies, but that may be down to its relative proximity to the Pantanal. The state of the roads in the north part of Canastra sounds slightly concerning as well. However, I understand that EMAS requires a guide for any access, and that much of its biodiversity was lost after a fire in 2010 I think.

If you're after maned wolves, the Caraca Monastery south of Belo Horizonte looks a good bet. We're looking at driving a section of Sao Paulo-Paraty-Ilha Grande-Petropolis/Teresopolis/Ouro Preto/Caraca and then up to Belo Horizonte. Need to work out if Canastra is worth the trip from there. Also looking if we could include Brasilia in the trip but not lots of obvious wildlife around there...

If you go onto the Canastra and EMAS TA reviews and type in for example 'lobo' , setting the language to Portuguese, you can filter out the results. EMAS looks more abundant with wildlife but Canastra has the scenery too.

@@FLINTUS I'm afraid that I can't help with your query but I would sure be interested in seeing your trip report.

When I last looked at Emas I couldn't find any accommodation located close to the park, have you located a place to stay at either of these parks?

I know about caraca monastery, there is also a Southwild camp where you basically are guaranteed Maned wolfs. Like in Caraca they feed them more or less inside the house.

But I want them in their natural environment, not on someones doorstep :)

I know about caraca monastery, there is also a Southwild camp where you basically are guaranteed Maned wolfs. Like in Caraca they feed them more or less inside the house.

But I want them in their natural environment, not on someones doorstep :)

Is that the Parnaiba Headwaters area? That 'nutcracker vallley' sounds interesting there, but impossible to do independently afaik. I would say Caraca may still be worth the side trip from BH if you're doing Canastra(unless you're coming straight from Sao Paulo?), as then at least you get pretty much guaranteed photos.

@@FLINTUS I'm afraid that I can't help with your query but I would sure be interested in seeing your trip report.

When I last looked at Emas I couldn't find any accommodation located close to the park, have you located a place to stay at either of these parks?

Canastra has quite a well developed web prescence for domestic tourism:

http://www.serradacanastra.com.br/

http://www.serradacanastrapousadas.com.br/

Unfortunately it's all in Portuguese as a result, which I can kind of understand from my knowledge of Spanish but I have to seriously concentrate on it to translate it(and I'm not that patient...)

EMAS is more difficult. Chapadao do ceu did have something from memory I think

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I might know someone who has just returned from a cracking safari in Brazil ;) I'll see if when they have recovered from the after effects of a lot of flying they can be persuaded to write some sort of report. :)

Edited by inyathi
1 person likes this