Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madaboutcheetah

Ranthambore full day safaris......

21 posts in this topic

Hello,

Anyone have any info about the proposal to allow full day safari permits in Ranthambore like is possible in Bandhavgarh?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

I'd like to know about that too as I would definitely do that if its available (hoping to hit Ranthambore on our next India trip.)

@@janzin - Half day and full day permits available for Ranthambore for the season .......

As like in Central India - 15 minute early entry and 15 minute late exit from the park; unlimited Zone access ....... 50K INR per full day.

Full day/ half day safari option is now being offered at Ranthambore Tiger Reserve to visitors apart from regular day visit permits. Under this scheme maximum 5 jeeps are permitted to stay inside the forest from sunrise to sunset & are provided zone free access across entire park, of course it does come at a cost.

@@janzin - Half day and full day permits available for Ranthambore for the season .......

As like in Central India - 15 minute early entry and 15 minute late exit from the park; unlimited Zone access ....... 50K INR per full day.

whoa, if I'm figuring that right, that's about $750. Too much for me I'm afraid :(

Posted (edited)

@@wilddog In my opinion, if you are covering a specific Tiger, or are doing a documentary film, then it makes sense to do a full day safari. Or, if you are a professional photographer then also it makes sense to do a full day safari. Otherwise, it is just too much of money going for just 4 extra hours inside the park.

Just calculate how many safaris you can do extra in this Rs. 50000. Atleast 7 exclusive safaris, and if shared about 11. Which means atleast 25 hours of extra exclusive safaris, or 38 hours of shared safaris.

Do you want extra 4 hours in Rs 50000 or extra 25-38 hours? What is better, i leave to you to decide. I think you will get many more opportunities to shoot Tigers if you do extra safaris, than one full day safari.

Edited by Sharad Kumar Vats
3 people like this

Thanks @@Sharad Kumar Vats for confirming the costs. As member @janzin has said it does seem a bit steep.

Two things to consider -

1.) One needs the luxury of 25-38 extra hours in Ranthambore

2.) The prime zones get sold out instantly the moment they go online and one must chase around trying to source access - Tough and near impossible, I've been told.

1 person likes this

Well we are now starting to plan our Feb 2018 India trip and have decided to do three full-day safaris in Ranthambore. As @@madaboutcheetah noted, we just don't have those extra days to visit, and this will maximize our time. Also, the advantage of not being restricted to a specific zone, and the ability to essentially go anywhere on any of the allowed tourist routes, is a big one. Yes, its expensive but in the end we are finding that India is so much less expensive overall then we are used to paying on African safari...18 days in India is costing significantly less than 12 days in Zambia or even Kenya...it just makes sense for us to maximize our tiger viewing chances, who knows when we will return.

Let's just hope they continue this through 2018! I'll let you know how it goes :)

1 person likes this

Correction - No extra time access in Ranthambore. Unlimited zone access and full day access (park opening to closure times) is what's permitted.

oh that's interesting @@madaboutcheetah as Vikram specifically told me that it included 30 minutes early entry and departure! "Also these full/half day permits allow you to enter 30 minutes before and leave 30 minutes after all the other vehicles, which could also be huge plus point." Perhaps its been changed?

@@janzin - no extra time early or late - just mid day is extra.

okay, that's too bad; but its still worth it to have the run of all zones and the mid-day time. I suppose they keep changing things all the time, who knows what it will be next year!

1 person likes this

That extra time is still available in the MP parks

@@wilddog In my opinion, if you are covering a specific Tiger, or are doing a documentary film, then it makes sense to do a full day safari. Or, if you are a professional photographer then also it makes sense to do a full day safari. Otherwise, it is just too much of money going for just 4 extra hours inside the park.

Just calculate how many safaris you can do extra in this Rs. 50000. Atleast 7 exclusive safaris, and if shared about 11. Which means atleast 25 hours of extra exclusive safaris, or 38 hours of shared safaris.

Do you want extra 4 hours in Rs 50000 or extra 25-38 hours? What is better, i leave to you to decide. I think you will get many more opportunities to shoot Tigers if you do extra safaris, than one full day safari.

I m totally agree with Sharad.

I did 4 full days safaris in April in Ranthambhore. I would like to share my experience here.

1. There were 4 of us. So we shared the vehicle and the costs. It is not much more than an exclusive vehicle doing 2 regular safaris per day. 

2. Zone free access allowed us track T-39 and her cubs and T60 and her cubs from sunrise to sunset. That resulted in some outstanding pictures. Busted the myth that tigers hunt at dawn and dusk. T 39 made 4 attempts (all in 40C heat) to hunt, one was successful. It was quite an experience to see a full grown tigress in attack mode less than a metre from where I was sitting. The way she looked through me, her eyes fixed on a deer on the other side of vehicle, is unforgettable. 2 attempts were between 2 and 3 pm, hottest part fo the day with just one other vehicle around.

3. Leopards are quite active around noon when tigers are cooling off in shade. A big male leopard christened "Spotty Dada" was a regular sighting, bang on the border of territories of  tigresses T-39 and Arrowhead.

4. It's a good idea to carry an umbrella and a large thin shawl/bedspread to protect yourself from heat as you wait for a tiger to step out of shade into a pool water.

I plan to do two trips to Ranthambhore this season, one in winters and one in April 2018. Both will have a mix of full day and regular safaris. If I get enough co-travellers it can be all full day safaris.

News is that T-19 seems to be lactating. So we should get the news about cubs in October. If she does have cubs, it will be rocking with T-39's cubs around a year old and T-19's around 4-5 months old.

Safari Njema!

2 people like this

@vikramghanekar I am sure we would love to hear more about your 4 days In Ranthambore, hopefully with some of your pictures.

Please feel free to add more information on your trip to the India section of SafaritalkTrip Reports which can be found here http://safaritalk.net/forum/218-india/

2 people like this

Well done @wilddog - indeed, @vikramghanekar we look forward to seeing an indepth trip report with photos ;)

Thanks for the report @vikramghanekar I have three full day safaris and two half days planned for March 2018 and this is really encouraging!  More cubs!!! Good tip about an umbrella for the heat. 

I also would love to see some photos!