See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Pack of 12 wild dogs lost to distemper Hluhluwe-iMfolozi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,512 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

The EWT is saddened by the loss of 12 Wild Dogs, commonly known as the Crossroads pack, in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park, due to suspected Canine Distemper Virus. The EWT, Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife and WildlifeACT are working together to prevent similar losses to such diseases in future, and are undertaking a high priority vaccination programme, as well as analysing all blood samples taken in the park over the last five to ten years in order to determine if there are any natural immunities to disease in the Wild Dog population in the park. Monitoring of the health and progress of all Wild Dogs in the park will continue, with the ongoing support of WildlifeACT, who provide funding for the tracking collars and also have a team assisting in the park. For more information, please refer to the statement issued by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife:
http://www.kznwildli...olozi-park.html
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

#2 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 01 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

Sad :( I hope they can identify the source. 

#3 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,616 posts
  • Local time: 02:44 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:31 PM

Terrible! So sad  :(

• Super LEEDS and lmonmm like this

#4 Super LEEDS

Super LEEDS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Local time: 09:44 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

Damn.

#5 IamFisheye

IamFisheye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Category 2:---

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

Neil Aldridge posted on Facebook yesterday afternoon

It just dawned on me that with this sad event in Hluhluwe Imfolozi, the death of every pack I photographed for my book Underdogs is now absolute. Tuli - poisoned. Venetia Limpopo - natural causes & relocated. Mkuze - poacher snares. Hluhluwe Imfolozi - distemper. And one prominent dog shot by a poacher at Hlambanyathi in KZN. There are probably some doing well from the small pack I saw in Kruger before I started the project properly, but I'm lost for words really....

#6 kittykat23uk

kittykat23uk

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 4,512 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

That must be so disheartening:(
If an experience is amazing enough to be "once in a lifetime," I want to do it every year.
Alex: "Whoa! Hold up there a second, fuzzbucket. You mean like, uh, the live in a mud hut wipe yourself with a leaf type wild?"
King Julian: “Who wipes?”

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.