Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom Kellie

Two Female Asiatic Cheetahs Remain in the Wild

9 posts in this topic

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/aug/30/two-female-asiatic-cheetahs-remain-in-wild-in-iran-say-conservationists

~ In this article from the U.K. Guardian the Iranian Cheetah Society notes that their monitoring of local Asiatic Cheetah populations suggests that there are two female Asiatic Cheetahs remaining in the wild.

Farmers, car accidents and hunting have been the primary recent causes of Asiatic Cheetah mortality, rather than natural causes. 30 August was Iran's National Cheetah Day.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Around 48 males left and 2 females...

The male/female proportion is quite strange.

No females are born in Iran or what?

Edited by Antee

Entirely a guess on my part, but that seems to be a ratio you'd get if females with young are being poached to sell the cubs on the black market.

1 person likes this

@@Antee Where do you get the number of 48 males?

I thought that the last couple of years they always estimated there to be around 80 Asiatic cheetahs left...

They don't mention any estimates in the article, they just say that in the past few months they've only seen those 2 females in two different areas, and none in some other areas in the past 2 years.

They do mention that in the past 15 years 48 cheetahs are believed to have died. 7 from natural causes, 21 at the hand of farmers, 15 in car accidents and 5 as a result of hunting. But they also mention that the number of female cheetahs have dropped significantly in the past 5 years. So how many of those 48 recorded death were females, and how much in the past 5 years?

Posted (edited)

this is all very unfortunate

the gender ratio is not good for the prospects of recovery

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Posted (edited)

@@egilio

I read a report from 2015 that estimate the population at around 50 individuals and rising due to more protected areas. (little sloppy calculation gives me 48 males & 2 females)

I know there is other reports who said a lower number and some says higher number.

But anyway... there is no way that there is only 2 females left in the wild and the article headline "Only two female Asiatic cheetahs remain in wild in Iran" is misleading.

But it seems that there is disproportionately big number of males. Why is that? Not really normal.

Edited by Antee

The sex ratio does seem skewed indeed. The reported deaths don't indicate pet trade, but do indicate that farmers are capable of killing cheetahs. If you kill females for pet trade, and capture cubs I'm sure you cover up your tracks. I wonder how many females have gone missing over the lost 5-10 years.

1 person likes this

Very depressing if true.

In this article from last summer it was stated that the extinction trend was reversed, and reported camera traps had caught 18 cubs.

http://www.payvand.com/news/15/dec/1035.html

1 person likes this

I've heard that cheetahs were still surviving in a small population in Pakistan. If cheetahs go extinct in Iran,it will only follow what happened to Caspian tiger,lion,and leopard in Iran. It's a horrible,and hopeless situation.