See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

More Rangers to Masai Mara

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Local time: 05:22 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:56 AM

Just read this. If it is true, I guess that is good. 

307 rangers deployed to fight poaching in Mara

• PT123 and pault like this

#2 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,395 posts
  • Category 2:---

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Very interesting article. I was completely unaware that wildebeest numbers might be affected significantly by poaching. It would have been helpful if the source of the 'statistics' could have been provided.

Nevertheless the increased number of rangers should benefit all wildlife

#3 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

if the majority of poachers come indeed from Tanzania, it makes you wonder why they do not kill the animals in their own country, sounds a bit strange to include an illegal border crossing to your already illegal poaching activities

#4 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 AM

Posted 28 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

The above article is also posted on the the Mara Triangle's (Conservancy's) website so I assume that there is some truth to it. More rangers will be a good thing provided that they receive additional training and oversight, (i.e., prevent opportunities and tolereance of bribes). 

The Conservancy posts a monthly report with detailed updates on poaching activity in the Triangle section of the Mara.  These reports indicate that poachers do freely cross the border into each other's country. There seems to be a good level of cooperation between Conservancy rangers and TANPA rangers, (commonly referred to as our Tanzanian colleagues"), with joint operations, ambushes of poachers or communication of poachers crossing the boarder. 

Edited by PT123, 28 August 2016 - 01:17 PM.

• COSMIC RHINO likes this

#5 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,657 posts
  • Local time: 03:22 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:03 AM

this is desireable  but they have to be used well as mentioned above

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#6 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

Imagine how much difference they would make if the new rangers (unlike the existing ones) did not continue to turn a blind eye to rampant illegal grazing at night within the Maasai Mara National Reserve!

Edited by offshorebirder, 29 August 2016 - 04:56 PM.

https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#7 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,077 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

@ice The border is prrety porous there and people don't strictly pay much attention to it - or even know where it is off the roads. However,  the protected area on the Tanzanian side appears to be better policed and as it's less busy and a national park (so no grazing permitted at all, certainly no residents, as in places like Mara North, and very few roads that anytone but tourists would have any business using)  incursions by poachers may be more obvious and more often detected

No doubt there may be other credible factors too  (there is less community benefit from the migration for Tanzanians and of course good old "don't shit where you sleep", for example), so although I never wholly believe it, I think  there is a logic to it.

• COSMIC RHINO likes this

Waiting again... for the next time again

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.