Towlersonsafari

Has anyone been to Ithala Game Reserve?

9 posts in this topic

Hello safari-talkers, assuming all goes well with our 2017 SA trip we were thinking that spotting Turtles along the Kwa -Zulu coast ( November-early March) sounds like fun and were looking at Hluhluwe-Imfolozi as we have been there many years ago staying probably at hilltops although the recent splendid reports on Rhino Ridge are tempting, then 3 nights at Thonga Beach lodge or similar for the turtles, Tembe elephant reserve looks rather good and then Ithala which looks a different scenic reserve and possibly a battlefield thingy. Has anyone been to ithala or indeed Tembe or has been to see the turtles? this is for 2018 but part of the fun is the planning!

Hi @ towelersonsafari, i have been to ithala Game Reserve Twice before.

My wifes Parents live about 150kms from the Reserve.

It is a very Scenic Reserve but has suffered from neglect and poaching in Recent years. I will get more Info for you from my in-laws äs to the latest condition of the park.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hello @@Hads thank you that would be very kind

Edited by Towlersonsafari

Hello @towelersonsafari , in regards to ithala my in laws last visit they said the accommodation was very nice along with the scenery being superb with the beautiful rolling hills, however they said the game viewing for mammals was not as good more than likely due to poaching. Rhino numbers are down which is one of the main attractions.

However if you are in the area it will be nice to visit.

I hope this helps. I have enjoyed my couple of trips there over the past few years.

Thanks very much indeed @@Hads that was very kind of you and your in laws! It was the scenery that appeals and its contrast to the other reserves. Thanks again

@@Towlersonsafari

When are you off to South Africa? As for 2018 well I thought you were climbing Kili with me!

Good luck to you're Chargers this year, only one more week till they lose there first game of the year!

Ha! @dio we are in the Kruger and Cape Town next February but the kwa-Zulu turtle tracking idea was for 2018 Jane has a medical condition called Holiday Planning syndrome that means she has to consider at least 5 holiday ideas a week.Last night though we were falling for Flatdogs! As for your cruel attack on the not at all ridiculous Chargers I will refrain from responding in kind and will not point out that any team seriously considering Sanchez must be in trouble Did you not admire our cunning plan to keep Boss injury free? I would love to spend a holiday freezing having headaches being sick seeing no wildlife but alas I fear I may be otherwise engaged signing petitions! Where are you off to next?

1 person likes this

I have the same disease! As for Flatdogs we are going back but I have 2 other trips planned first. We leave for Kenya on October 23rd so I hope to see you at my trip report. Uganda and Kili at the end of 2018 and then some sort of Kruger Luangwa Mana Pools trip just need to figure out which one first. Maybe we will see you in one of these places but I'm guessing not on Kili!

As for Sanchez well he's already 3rd string and I can always console myself with already having 3 super bowls!

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2016-san-diego-chargers-1784386785 This is a great summation of your beloved San Diego Chargers!

I am used to supporting bad teams- it is character forming and prepares me for lifes disappointments such as the badger cull, fox hunting, unlicensed grouse moors me not having enough money to go to Africa every year, finding out I would never be Gary Sobers......You had a great time at Flatdogs and Zambia is such a fine place.will definitely look out for your trip report-and Uganda looks fun-but yes Kili not so much.