Kenya - Elephants, The Mara, Lewa, I'm Their Leader- Where Are They?

Lois Hild Photography

Lois Hild Photography

My apologies for the long pause in this trip report. I've been feverishly busy answering people's questions about the June/July 2017 safari as the deposit deadline the end of this month draws nearer.

I believe I left off as we arrived in Olare Motorogi and headed for Kicheche Bush Camp. As we were there for seven days and took two game drives a day with a picnic breakfast on every morning, I will spare you a blow by blow and hit the highlights, which might turn into a blow by blow as it was almost non-stop.

This first morning game drive with Kicheche we scored a "Cat Trick"- lions, cheetah, and leopard all in one game drive. All before breakfast in fact.

The Enkoyanai Pride
post-50670-0-89678300-1472943450_thumb.jpg

post-50670-0-76760900-1472943529_thumb.jpg

Mohican, pride male
post-50670-0-12751000-1472945131_thumb.jpg

Olare, the son of the infamous Fig
post-50670-0-31990300-1472943476_thumb.jpg

Nolari's half grown son was still having trouble getting serious about hunting. Cheetah mothers have the patience of Job.

post-50670-0-59488700-1472943490_thumb.jpg

post-50670-0-33207800-1472943517_thumb.jpg

We were to see all these characters repeatedly during our seven days in Olare Motorogi. Nelson seemed to be able to conjure up whatever or whoever we requested each drive.

One rather unusual thing to note is that on two different occasions we saw two different pairs of hyenas mating. As most of you are probably aware, the female hyena produces so much testosterone that she developes a phallus. This makes copulation a rather delicate procedure. Unlike almost everything else hyenas do, the mating process is rather quiet and gentle.

post-50670-0-10645000-1472944022_thumb.jpg

This seems like a good place to pause again. More soon...

Charles? Where is Nelson? :o

By the way, when is all this taking place?

@@pault

Nelson was with two other regular Kicheche guests, they have over 160 Kicheche nights under their belts, when we got there and they always request Nelson. We had Charles for the first two days and then Nelson. You really can't get a bad guide at Kicheche. The other members of my group had Patrick and they enjoyed him immensely.

June 23, 2016 was the first day of the safari and it ran continuously.

Goodness, they have been doing a lot of nights! Nelson hasn't been there all that long (well, relative to the other three). It'll take me until 75 to rack up that many nights (well, until 105 at current pace).

Charles is no downgrade I'm sure.

Welcome back. Mating hyenas is quite something to see!

Your lion photos have such expressive eyes. The humans with binocs popped up humorously right after all those lions. Mating hyenas, I agree is quite something to see!

looks like the visitors at Lewa Camp skipped out a few details making the ele orphan Tsavo trip appear to be more expensive than it actually is

to have a reasonably priced trip you need a group booking

I have all my 2017 trip already arranged ,if I ever want to go it would be best to ask if I could join a group being organized by you or someone else here

@Imonmm your story about the elephant whisperer is just incredible. It's further confirmation of what I know about elephants can make human friends. It's also evidence of the bonds of trust which can be established between humans and elephants. However, I feel that more evidence needs to be established of how well elephants can understand human speech.

@@Lois Hild Photography you are a fantastic photographer, I'm sure your an even better to a group leader. All the guests in your tour group can't wait to go on another safari. I particularly love your photos of the hyenas mating;they are just priceless.

@optig wasn't my story- it was a quote of something written by Lois- I was so struck by the man' actions and the comment about the wild bulls helping teach the young ones. Personally- I don't need more evidence- I just go with it as I truly believe elephants are brilliant :)

Lois Hild Photography

@@optig Thanks for the compliment. I have a great time with my guests. It was really something seeing the mating hyenas. We saw this pair mate twice and the next day we saw a different pair mate. I decided I must be the fertility Goddess of hyenas. I talked to people who had lived in Kenya all their lives and spent significant time in the bush and had never seen hyenas mating.

Lois Hild Photography

@@COSMIC RHINO Will be waiting to hear about your 2017 trip. It seems there is enough interest for the DSWT trip that I will probably be doing one a year at least, maybe two, so if you are interested in the future, just contact me. We plan it so that you can add on more safari, or do just the DSWT with us. I'm usually there for a month at a time going to different locations, but always include some time in the Mara. Love Lewa too. I will be back there in Jan. 2018 with a group of veterinarians.

@Imonmm I didn't mean that that was your story I meant the story you were quoting was just awesome. We may know a lot already about the incredible capabilities of elephants.However,I sincerely believe that this is just the tip of the iceberg and we will discover much more about elephant's mental abilities.Who could have believed that elephants have their own language? Who would have believed that elephants had the ability to transfer memories from generation to generation? Furthermore, as we all know they can send messages from elephant to elephant underground.

I was very impressed 3years ago by Lewis "Stretch" Ferreira's ability to talk to all the elephants in the park,he knows them all personally. I'll never forget when he got a wild elephant to pose in front of a group of 7 of us, it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on safari!!

Edited by optig

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this with us all. To date I have been to Ithumba three times and Umani twice and have driven there and back each time. I can also vouch for the way the large wild tuskers behave so well when around the camp. When the water truck arrives the big boys simply wait for the well to fill and if one gets impatient he is just flicked off with casual hand by the driver. My most vivid memory is standing on the ramp when one bull (Rafiki, who is in the third of the 'sepia' portraits) looking to join us only to be told "no" by Hassan and just turning and going back. I swear he just shrugged!

Michael has already mentioned your Lesser Kudu. May I suggest that your juv Tawny Eagle (with the Guinea fowl) is actually a Juv Gabar Goshawk?

It is a pitty that visiting the orphaned eles in a Tsavo is so expensive

there was a couple from Austin ,Texas at Lewa Safari Camp when I was there.

the access is only by charter flight

also they were taken by someone to a market to buy all their food and clean water for drinking and cooking , which had to be taken in by vehicle

@@COSMIC RHINO - There are two options for staying at Ithumba. One is Ithumba Camp. It accommodates a maximum of eight in four tents and you must book the entire camp which does make it expensive if you don't have seven friends you want to spend a few days with. It is self-catering in that you must supply food and beverages. They supply all staff including the cook and all utensils, bedding, towels, etc. There is also the posher Ithumba Hill Camp. You don't have to hire the entire camp, but you must have at least four people. I'm not clear if it is self-catering or not. It is fairly new.

As far as getting there, you may drive or take a charter flight. With eight a charter with Safarilink Cessna 208 isn't much more than a comparable scheduled flight AND they serve you a little brown bag snack on the 45 minute flight from Wilson! Since it's a charter you could fly direct from wherever you are, say Lewa.

If going through Nairobi there are companies that will do the shopping for you and meal planning so that you would just have to pick up what you need already packaged up for you.

The easiest would be to just join us July 2017 and let us make all the arrangements for you!

I am interested to know details of your shopping list fir the 5* chef. How did you know what to buy so he could prepare the fabulous meals for you all? Pen

Edited by penolva