See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

What is the point of conservation?

Ecosystem Payment for Ecosystem Service conservation endangered species gorillas bees pollinators

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 armchair bushman

armchair bushman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Local time: 05:49 AM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:38 AM

If you wonder why I'm always harping on about payment for ecosystem services, I recommend you read this article (right to the bottom - don't stop halfway). It provides helpful explanations of what nature and healthy ecosystems do for humans, and how we can put economic values on them - meaning a loss of a healthy ecosystem is an economic and humanitarian loss as well. Good explanations on why conserving ecosystems, rather than single species, is important (in other words, don't be turned off by the title)

http://www.bbc.com/e...angered-species

• twaffle, egilio, pault and 4 others like this

#2 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Local time: 04:49 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:42 AM

A really good article! I hope more people here read it.

• armchair bushman likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ecosystem, Payment for Ecosystem Service, conservation, endangered species, gorillas, bees, pollinators

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.