Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SafariChick

"Barbaric elephant slaughter creates horror scene"

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The title of this thread was the title of a posting I read on Facebook from a group called Informante, which seems to be a Namibian newspaper. Apparently, a group of men opened fire indiscriminately on a herd of elephants peacefully grazing on the Angolan side of the banks of the Okavango River that divides Angola from Namibia. A posting on Facebook by Informante, which was re-posted by Wildlife At Risk ("WAR") described a horrific scene which was witnessed by guests staying at a tourist lodge on the Namibian side of the river.

According to this posting on Facebook from 11 hours ago:

The barbaric attack on the group of elephants occurred on Saturday afternoon near Kasira Camp close to Derico in the Katere area of the Kavango. On the map the horrific incident occurred at the confluence of the Quito and Okavango Rivers.

https://www.facebook.com/informantenam/photos/a.277814335618867.64085.183476948385940/1086967078036918/?type=3&theater

Informante posted an update about 3 hours ago. According to a witness

At this stage it is not clear how many of the elephants were actually injured. We just know that three suffered a torturing death and that the attackers came in the night to hack the tusks of the biggest animal out of its skull with axes and machetes. Later, on Sunday, many villagers on the Angolan side of the river could be seen walking back to their dwellings in the bush with hunks of meat

It sounds like in addition to the three killed, a number of other elephants may have been wounded:

According to Hennie Burger, who saw the horrific attack on the elephants the attack on the animals happened less than 150 metres from where he was standing, the attack did not focus on one or two of the animals.
He said the barbaric men were firing wildly and indiscriminately, leaving many other elephants wounded. Those who could still move disappeared in the bushes and have not been seen since the massacre.

This is the update from which the latter quotes came:

https://www.facebook.com/informantenam/posts/1087174298016196

These attacks took place in what is supposed to be a protected area in Angola, Luiana National Park. The second post indicates Namibian police are crossing the river to help Angolan authorities investigate, but this is just horrific to read about. I wonder what will become of the poor wounded elephants.

Edited by SafariChick

I read something recently by Elephants without Borders- I think it may have been an interview with Mike Chase. He talked about how during the great elephant census that they've been doing they noted that poaching has been rampant in Angola This report you are mentioning is horrifying to read and my heart is so heavy with this news. There are days when it is difficult to function when I read stuff like this. :(

Obviously,a lot of the problem is that the Angolan government has no real interest in developing wildlife. It continues to be almost totally dependent on oil revenue which has diminished substantially. It's yet another case of an African government which

is far too dependent on the price of a single commodity.

:(

That must have been horrible to watch. Sad as it might have been, but I'm 'hoping' (not really hoping, but I hope you get what I mean) that such an incident be filmed at some point. For everybody to see how cruel it is, I think that would be a huge wake up call.

Angola is lawless and out of control , this is all a sad mess