See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Seen a Pangolin? Share your story!

pangolin science conservation

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alezsu

alezsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Local time: 03:29 AM
  • Category 1:Ecologist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

Hi, all!

Somehow, it's been 2 years since I last posted to/visited SafariTalk! In that time, I've almost finished my dissertation (the big paper on lions is in review and due out before year's end), have spent a year in London, got engaged to a lovely Englishman, founded a community development startup in SSA, and begun the post-PhD job search in East & Southern Africa.

As I trend toward the end of my PhD, I'm also working on a new project with a collaborator at the Cambridge Conservation Initiative. We're trying to collect informations about pangolins, those darling little walking avocados that suffer so badly at the hands (and feet) of poachers/safari guides everywhere.

During my time in the Mara, I gathered a few 2nd hand reports about pangolin sightings, plus a lot of Maasai mythology related to the pangolin (endtaboi in the local Maa) and its importance to local culture/ecology.

But a few isn't enough -- so I need your help. If anyone has stories/sightings, and ESPECIALLY gps-location-linked pictures of pangolins anywhere in East Africa, please please please let me know. I'm more than happy to make you a co-author on our paper if you're keen, and happier still just to learn what your pangolin encounters have been like.

Anyway -- hello, again, SafariTalk! May your grasses be lush, your cattle be fat, and your wildlife sightings be plentiful and photogenic.  :)

2013: Kenya (5 mo)

2014: Kenya (2 mo)

2015: Namibia (2 mo)

2017: S. Africa (3 mo)

2018: Kenya (4 mo)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pangolin, science, conservation

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.