madaboutcheetah

Qatar airways to fly into Windhoek .......

11 posts in this topic

thanks @@madaboutcheetah for the info. i've always liked Qatar but it's expensive to fly that to east Africa! fares are more reasonable to southern africa though, so connections to namibia and Zambia may just work. :)

1 person likes this

They launched in the UK and had a special offer on for 5 days so grabbed two seats before they went up again. It will certainly boost tourism to Namibia if they continue the route long term. Fingers crossed. I haven't been once yet but I'm already eying up a second visit!

1 person likes this

They are also my next carrier to Namibia. Flying from Zagreb (100 km from Ljubljana) with a loooong connecting time in Doha. But the cost was very reasonable at 550 EUR pp return.

I do hope the ME airlines find all their new Africa routes remunerative so that they continue their service to these cities .......... It's not just the tourist/business community - but, also their cargo service. Recently on an EK flight, I got chatting with the crew and they mentioned that the Lusaka/HRE route was never busy like their JNB service - but, it's very good for the cargo!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I don’t think this has been mentioned here, but KLM is now flying to WDH 3X per week from AMS—actually an extension to an existing flight to Luanda. Not the best connection for flights from the USA that typically arrive early in the morning, since it is an overnight flight leaving late. But no JNB hassles!

Fares from the Left Coast of America are quite reasonable right now; for example, from SEA or LAX for $847. I just bought a tix for late February (a landscape photography tour) for $847rt, plus about $44 for assigned seating on the 2 KLM flights (like low cost carriers?), but no extra fee for the 2 Delta flights. All 4 flights are on the Airbus 330-300, my favorite long distance plane (window seat for my inflight entertainment, with only 1 person to crawl over to exit).

With such a decent fare, I’m going to splurge on a room at Yotel (right in the AMS terminal, so no security hassles) for the 14 hour layover. I must be getting old… :)

Edited by AKChui
1 person likes this

Yes, the transit side at JNB airport is a Muppet show ......... Long lines, understaffed at the immigration desks at peak hours and quite bad. Also, lots of people bump the queue saying they are late for their flight (not sure if it's just an excuse) ...........

1 person likes this

@madaboutcheetah I hadn't realized that the process has gotten even worse in recent years--glad I chose the AMS routing! For those who do transit JNB, what would you suggest is the minimum transfer time (to safely make the WDH flight)?

Two hours minimum transit time ..... You must also be willing to bump the queue!

Two hours minimum transit time ..... You must also be willing to bump the queue!

What is the whole routine from getting off the first plane to then transiting to the JHB/Maun flight, eg. is it grab bags from belt, head to the transit line/s, show passport, be x-rayed, go through to gate or is it easier/harder?

Just straight to transit queue/ passport check/ security check .....