What am I forgetting?

BobsCreek

I fly out for S. Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe in less than 2 weeks. What do I need that I am forgetting? :-)

Assorted shots/pills. √

Power converter √

Vehicle inverter √

International Driver's permit √

Trip medical insurance √

Reconfirmed all reservations √

Set recurring bills on "auto pay" √

What else?

Currency and visas if required prior to travel

Camera, binos etc But I guess you will have remembered all those anyway. :)

I assume this trip is self drive?

Self drive :-) and those aspects are covered...as long as remember to pack them! Lol

luangwablondes

Quick and off the top of my head:

Plenty of Handi wipes- you can buy in SA

get a bottle jack - makes life a easier than dealing with a high lift

preorder vacuum packed meats from butcheries in each country-get the telephone numbers of recommended places in each country along the route- taking meat across borders can mean forfeiture. Go for the best cuts.

flip flops for showers and a plastic case for soap

tennies and extra laces you will be willing to ditch or give away at the end of the safari

lite that you can wear on head and of course a good inexpensive led torch. Batteries can be crap and expensive in Africa

If you wear glasses, take a screwdriver/screws kit.

Alcohol is expensive in Botswana, so stock up in SA

There are the big warehouse stores in Joburg for much of this. At Makro- kind of a super Walmart only better for your needs, also a membership card maybe required the 1st time, a painless and quick process the last time I did it. They have most everything. Not a great place for meat.

Important- make copies of everything, in case you lose them. Share with traveling partners so everyone is covered. Additionally, put online so you can print copies if sh*t happens, including. Drivers license, passport, insurances, any and all potentially important contacts, airline ticket info, tel numbers, emails,etc. all vehicle papers and park permits when you get there. Getting to a computer and printer is much easier and could be a trip saver over the alternative. It is Africa, and expect the worse.

Edited by luangwablondes

ahhh, good thoughts on the meat! also had not thought of scanning in my passport and such to access online, great idea. bottle jack, good thought I will see what my land cruiser has when i pick it up in Main.

thanks!

Peter Connan

Bob, do you understand how the vet fences work in Botswana (I am myself not sure whether there are similar issues in Zim). Moving in certain directions, food (fresh meat mostly but sometimes also vegetables and dairy products sometimes) may be confiscated. So it's not only border crossings you need to worry about.

A little thing that I have found helps a bit: make a list of all your electronic/expensive gadgets, with serial numbers where possible, and take a few copies. At border crossings, just attach it to the customs forms instead of having to write all of it down.

If going into very wild areas, make sure your friends know your route and expected time of arrival, and keep in contact with them regularly. That way, if something goes wrong, somebody will know to start looking, and roughly where too.

Edited by Peter Connan

Thanks peter

@@BobsCreek

Make sure you take flashlights, and head torches are also useful.

Check that you will be provided with the correct paperwork for the vehicle. aa.co.za is usually up to date with the requirements for all borders. Please note if you will be using Chirundu or Kariba borders they will ask for Police Clearance Certificate - this document is no longer being issued by rental companies so be prepared to "negotiate" with the border officials (usually playing stupid is the best strategy!).

Also check current requirements for Yellow Fever Certificate for the countries you are visiting.

As regards insurance make sure you double check with them what is included/excluded - air evacuation is important to be included. Furthermore some insurances have an issue with travellers on a self-drive in remote places in Africa, better to discuss these items with them in advance.

KaingU Lodge

GPS with 'tracks 4 Africa' (as up to date as possible) loaded? Extremely useful. I assume the rental company provides? If not then it is something you should enquire about.

COSMIC RHINO

be very particular to ensure that your power bill for your home will be paid in advance or on auto

Just got the Tracks last week, and power bill will take care of itself! I might actually be "ready" lol

Ben mosquito

Lenspen and a giottos rocket air blaster (large), travel universal adaptor and a multiple plug socket.

(In Zimbabwe the power sockets used are of type D or G )

read the operator's manual for the hi-lift Jack and the kinetic straps <_<

Edited by Ben mosquito

Peter Connan

Reading the manual for these two items is not enough.

Used incorrectly, they are very dangerous!

Bob, if you want, I could show you how to use either (or both) correctly, assuming you have them?

Ben mosquito

@@Peter Connan you're absolutly right.

it's very important to practice again and again and again, with the equipment I hope you'll don't have to use.

luangwablondes

Where you are going, you shouldn't need a high lift jack, if you have a bottle jack. With a landcruiser, if you get stuck in deep sand, let air out of the tires. Which reminds me, be sure you have an air compressor in your kit.

KaingU Lodge

Where you are going, you shouldn't need a high lift jack, if you have a bottle jack. With a landcruiser, if you get stuck in deep sand, let air out of the tires. Which reminds me, be sure you have an air compressor in your kit.

This.

While here in Zambia in the wet season a highlift is vital when you go looking for trouble, in one whole year overlanding around Southern Africa I didn't use one once. Compressor on the other hand was vital.

COSMIC RHINO

if it is going to get dusty have your camera batteries, battery charger and SD cards is a plastic food storage container.

• 10 months later...
PieterSmiles

Remember to print out all of your reservations confirmations before traveling. It's very rare that emigrations ask for this proof, but when they do it just makes it sooo much easier dealing with them.

Also do you have a satellite phone? You can rent one for not too much and it can come in real handy especially if you are in an area with no coverage.