offshorebirder

Direct flights from USA to JKIA - update

58 posts in this topic

On 2016-12-22 at 2:19 PM, janzin said:

well that's too bad, I was hoping that it might offer me another alternative for my flight to Zambia next September. But not sure I can wait until April (or even later--if it even happens!) to find out the schedule and prices, so I guess I'm stuck with having to book with SAA.

Do you not like SAA @janzin?  At the end of my Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda trip, I have flights with them from EBB to JNB and the long haul from JNB to Heathrow.  I thought they were a 5 star airline?

Posted (edited)

I  really  wonder what is achieved by making such early announcement  ,when so many steps  have to be done before the actual service begins 

it just creates a whole lot of surprise and excitement to no good end effect

farmers do not announce the sale of their  crops before being planted ,publishers don't try to sell  books before they have been written ,but politicians like to always create the impression that something is happening

Edited by COSMIC RHINO
2 people like this

10 hours ago, offshorebirder said:

So the latest is a  *#$%*  year from now?   Argh!  

Article from July 11 titled   "Two hurdles to clear for direct Kenya-US flights":

"KCAA is awaiting for JKIA audit before the end of October this year by USTSA, for the airport to be issued with last point of departure clearance. This will give way to direct flights to America. “KQ, it is our hope, would be granted technical authority to operate by FAA by April 2018,” Kibe said, adding the first direct flight to US from JKIA will commence in June 2018 if that happens."

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/2001247001/two-hurdles-to-clear-for-direct-kenya-us-flights

Well then, that definitely messes with my June timeframe.  I wonder if the TSA's or Dept of Homeland Security's latest "abide by our rules or no flights to the US" mandates have caused this next delay?

13 hours ago, Tulips said:

Do you not like SAA @janzin?  At the end of my Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda trip, I have flights with them from EBB to JNB and the long haul from JNB to Heathrow.  I thought they were a 5 star airline?

@Tulips nothing wrong with SAA and we are indeed using them next month for our Zambia trip. It just might have been interesting if Kenya Air had started service from JFK to Nairobi, as they already have connection from Nairobi to Lusaka. The flight times might have been more evenly divided for us (I really hate the 14+ hours from JNB back to JFK!) and I was hoping another option might have also brought the price down. And also, Kenya Air will likely codeshare with Delta and we would get usable miles--the SAA miles go into our United account which isn't that useful for us.

So no worries about SAA, we have been twice before to Africa with them and service was fine.

1 hour ago, janzin said:

@Tulips nothing wrong with SAA and we are indeed using them next month for our Zambia trip. It just might have been interesting if Kenya Air had started service from JFK to Nairobi, as they already have connection from Nairobi to Lusaka. The flight times might have been more evenly divided for us (I really hate the 14+ hours from JNB back to JFK!) and I was hoping another option might have also brought the price down. And also, Kenya Air will likely codeshare with Delta and we would get usable miles--the SAA miles go into our United account which isn't that useful for us.

So no worries about SAA, we have been twice before to Africa with them and service was fine.

That's great to know @janzin.  SAA is Star Alliance so it benefits me a great deal to use them other than having to fly from EBB to JNB, which seems counter intuitive. However the timings and price were better to take that connection and gives me lots of miles.

1 person likes this

It is almost like they are making very early stage announcements before anything can happen, just for the sake of giving the impression that they are doing something

Although this remains unlikely given Kenya Airways financial condition, they have passed a significant milestone: the US Dept. of Transportation has granted approval for a non-stop NBO - US ( JFK?) route. 

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/09/07/kenya-airways-us-flight/

3 people like this

interesting  , now the principle has been established  would a US airline consider doing it ?

they would get even more passengers with a say San Francisco to New York change planes  with baggage check through then to Nairobi