offshorebirder

Direct flights from USA to JKIA - update

58 posts in this topic

This article has the title: "Kenya-US direct flights may start in November":

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/2000217953/kenya-us-direct-flights-may-start-in-november

"Direct flights from Kenya to the US could start as soon as the end of October, Government officials say.

James Macharia, the Cabinet secretary for Transport, Infrastructure, Housing and Urban development has said all issues that were under discussion between Kenyan aviation authorities and their American counterparts have been disposed of. Mr Macharia said what remains is for the US to send an audit team for final confirmation and sign off for the flights to begin. He said this will be concluded by the end of October. The new development was brought to light when Macharia met the US Transportation Secretary Antony Fox last Wednesday at the sidelines of the 39th Civil Aviation Assembly in Montreal, Canada.

1 person likes this

@@offshorebirder. Thanks for the update....nothing showing up on flight searches for next year yet, but that may be they are waiting for the final word Fingers crossed :)

-- I should clarify my previous post about the Emirates flight and pricing - that is the current one that stops in Dubai on the way from the USA to Kenya (JKIA).

1 person likes this

Did this fall through again? Any updates?

Thanks!

@Gilgamesh I've been wondering the same thing. I google it periodically, but nothing new since early fall and they say flights could start by December. And who knows now with the new political climate? I would so love for this to happen though.

well that's too bad, I was hoping that it might offer me another alternative for my flight to Zambia next September. But not sure I can wait until April (or even later--if it even happens!) to find out the schedule and prices, so I guess I'm stuck with having to book with SAA.

@@lmonmm...keep checking Emirates. They currently have great prices, we think, from the West Coast to Lusaka via Dubai.

2 people like this

@amybatt thanks for that article...I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but it is a bit late for making plans to Kenya next year. As @marg notes, Emirates does have reasonable options out of Dulles in DC. This stuff does move slowly doesn't it?

I don't chase the prices but the convenience. There's no way I'd fly Boston-DC-Dubai-Nairobi. Not unless I'm completely sedated and restrained for my mental health. Emirates flies out of Boston now but I'm not sure of the frequency.

I'm hoping whatever the direct flight to NBO is is out of JFK (BOS is a pipedream). Any place else and I'd just rather connect in Europe, particularly during a northeast winter.

Posted (edited)

I also live in Boston and we're pretty lucky that there are numerous airlines that offer one-stop service to Nairobi. The addition of a Delta flight from NYC, DC or Atlanta would still mean that we'd have one stop, so this wouldn't be an better option for us (but for folks traveling from these cities or the left coast this could be attractive). I agree that I would rather change planes in Europe as it breaks up a long flight and you can add a layover in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Istanbul or in the ME (Dubai/Qatar).

Edited by PT123

Posted (edited)

After running out of patience, I bought my tickets for my September trip. Of course, now USA has approved straight flights. Everyone can thank me for that :)

Cant paste link for some reason

Edited by Gilgamesh
5 people like this

Posted (edited)

This is the link.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/JKIA-Category-1-status--direct-Kenya-US-flights/539550-3825176-mtflqm/index.html

It seems as though it may still be a little while before flights actually begin.

Edited by pomkiwi
1 person likes this

a little off topic but we just spent a couple of hours in what i guess is the 'old' part of the JKIA airport and it was really crumby, not a good airport to hang out in! The "food court" choices were terrible and it was really hot, the AC didn't work well at all. Have people been in the new part and is it nicer? If so, what airlines fly in and out of the new part because next time I'd rather do that! I guess the arrival doesn't matter so much but on leaving if you have to be there early and hang around, this old part was terrible.

1 person likes this

@@SafariChick The new part is a tremendous improvement in every way,shape and form.I honestly don't know which airlines are still using the old terminal and which are now using the new one,however, I'll do my best to find out for you. I'm looking forward to your trip record. I hope to meet you the next time your'e in Nairobi.

Maybe a little too esoteric for most safari-goers, but an airliners.net forum has more details, opinions, forecasts, etc. about non-stop flights from the USA to Kenya. Sometimes practicalities get in the way of hopes…

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1356363

3 people like this

@@SafariChick - I flew out of the new part recently. It had a nice little bar/cafe - we ordered a Guinness and some people there had good-looking food.

@@AKChui - I hope they are wrong and that someone besides Delta steps up!

Our flight from Rwanda to NBO landed in a new version of what I assume is a temporary arrivals terminal. It was cleaner/fresher and not as dark. ( I can't speak to the whole eVisa experience though as we were the only ones on the flight not East African and the only ones with visas)

The terminal we flew out of last night was the same terminal but improved over last year, but not by much. We didn't bother to look at the food court but the gate area at least had bathrooms and a water cooler but was still dreadfully hot.

1 person likes this

code sharing....the same flight with two or more  airlines flight numbers.  Can book the flight with either carrier.  You need to see which airline is actually flying the plane.

2 people like this

@marg thanks- I kind of thought that, but was wondering what they meant by the code-sharing with a US airlines in Oct. Wasn't sure if Kenya Air would start  next spring (per the article), but a US airline earlier? Who knows. I'll just have to wait and see.

Posted (edited)

Code-share would likely be with Delta, I seem to recall reading that somewhere (maybe on FlyerTalk.) And they are already Skymiles partners. April 2018 would be fine with me, I'm all booked up with other trips until then anyway :) But I could definitely see doing a short trip to the Mara if I could go nonstop from JFK!

Edited by janzin
2 people like this

I've also recently read that Rwandair will be flying direct to KGL from New York starting in 2018. I am unsure of the frequency or further details, but I hope to use this service in the future. 

1 person likes this

So the latest is a  *#$%*  year from now?   Argh!  

Article from July 11 titled   "Two hurdles to clear for direct Kenya-US flights":

"KCAA is awaiting for JKIA audit before the end of October this year by USTSA, for the airport to be issued with last point of departure clearance. This will give way to direct flights to America. “KQ, it is our hope, would be granted technical authority to operate by FAA by April 2018,” Kibe said, adding the first direct flight to US from JKIA will commence in June 2018 if that happens."

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/2001247001/two-hurdles-to-clear-for-direct-kenya-us-flights

1 person likes this