Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
optig

This looks like an exciting new safari location.

8 posts in this topic

Notice that this new destination in Namibia is right across the border form Botswana and it's on the Kwando river thus it's obviously an outstanding location for seeing wild dogs, elephants, sable antelopes and much more. The other good news is that there aren't many tourists there thus, one is assured of having the reserve to themselves. It looks quite exciting to me and since it's in Namibia it's obviously considerably less expensive than in Botswana.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/11/travel/bwabwata-namibia-national-park/index.html

4 people like this

Two Male Lions in their prime ( one of them radio collared in Bwambata NP in Namibia) have now made Kwando Lagoon their home ............ However, I don't expect to see the game viewing on par with the Botswana side at any time soon ........

1 person likes this

This destination is not as new as the article indicates.

There have been several lodges in this area for the last two decades.including Susuwe,Camp Kwando and Lianshulu.

I went to Susuwe in 2003 and 2004. Gameviewing was good and may be even better today. Good Sable and excellent Elephant viewing as well as Leopard, Lions etc.

However the gameviewing was not even close to what I have seen next door at Kwando.

I can however recommend Susuwe due to the mix of activities and the location. I transferred from Susuwe to Kwando Lagoon by boat from Lianshulu which also seemed like a very nice lodge.

1 person likes this

@@madaboutcheetah I was so pleased that these guys made it safely from the populated Caprivi Strip to Kwando Lagoon. Do you have any recent updates on them from Kwando?

1 person likes this

@@Treepol - they are very much around .......... They've taken over the females from the lagoon pride and I hear that they have cubs now. They came into Lagoon end of September last year and are around still ....... so, not going anywhere!

@@madaboutcheetah thanks for the confirmation, I do think of these guys every now and then and had been concerned for them in Bwabwata living so close to villages. I will let @@farin know as she also saw them when we were at Mazambala in 2014.

This is a welcome good news story.

1 person likes this

@@Treepol - do you have images of them from 2014? Thanks

@@madaboutcheetah sadly, no I don't.

They were disappearing into some very thick cover as we spotted them, and they laid up where we couldn't drive to. I have a fleeting memory of a couple of amber eyes peering from behind tall grass and a fallen tree.

1 person likes this