See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

How to survive vehicle breakdown during safari (inside or outside the park)?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Local time: 02:51 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:13 PM

What I've heard of, the best 4x4 vehicle is a mercedes G-class. But very expensive to purchase and maintain, and not easy to get parts for in Africa, but very durable.

OKA's were pretty good too, and of course don't forget Unimogs. But I don't know how regular they break down. 

@Towlersonsafari Did you deflate your tires? I Liuwa I've seen many selfdrives struggling in sand on 4 low, where they could drive pretty easily with half the tire pressure in 2wd. 

• gagan likes this

#22 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

To my mind the G-wagon's reputation is mostly hype. It stems from a time when it was the only vehicle available with diff locks in both axles. It also had simple, reliable engines.

Nowadays, many other vehicles have diff locks in both axles, and the modern G is a fully-electronic car. Great when it works, but nearly impossible to repair in the bush when it stops. And as @egilio said, incredibly expensive.

Unimogs are undeniably capable, but if you manage to get that thing stuck, nobody is going to get you out again.
Ek oefen skelm.

#23 Botswanadreams

Botswanadreams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 09 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

Sometimes shit happened in the bush.

Somewhere in the nowhere in Namibias Susuwe Triangle on the way to Nambwa Community Rest Camp. 

Botswana 2008 (1) 0488.jpg

“All I wanted to do was get back to Africa. We had not left it, yet, but when I would wake in the night I would lie, listening, homesick for it already."

Ernest Hemingway

www.botswanadreams.de

#24 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Local time: 01:51 AM

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hello @egilio actually my tale has no place in a serious discussion as it was entirely my fault.We were on gravel roads but in a hurry as we had spent too long at the Cape Cross seals We no I saw the dry rover bed too late and then instead of keeping going I slowed down and as it was getting late the sand was very soft and we got stuck I then lost my temper and buried the car up to its axles.We had no spade and so my attempts to dig us out with a monopoly surprisingly failed.the rocks and wood I put under the wheels were puny in comparison with the stuff the very helpful guy we met the next dawn and who knew we had a jack? So yes when in the KTP we lower the tyre pressure and Jane still refuses to agree to a self,-drive in Botswana!!!
  • optig likes this

#25 gagan

gagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 06:21 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

My first trip to serengeti had a vehicle breakdown problem near ngorongoro.First trip of ol doinyo lengai and selous were also disastrous like that where i was stuck in the jungle and the help arrived after several hours in the form of rangers.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.