pomkiwi

Chile in March 2017

11 posts in this topic

I have just made a booking for myself and Mrs pomkiwi to spend several days in the Atacama Desert and then returning to Torres del Paine in Patagonia (where I was briefly in 2012) :)

Expect some condors

post-50257-0-42338500-1467306255_thumb.jpg

Lots of guanaco

post-50257-0-38919200-1467306253_thumb.jpg

Hopefully a puma but definately some expansive landscapes

post-50257-0-01526500-1467306251_thumb.jpg

post-50257-0-38169300-1467306248_thumb.jpg

8 people like this

@@pomkiwi I'm very envious - the landscapes are spectacular and the animals are so endemic to that region. I'll have to journey there through your TR - so I'm eagerly awaiting that! Have a fabulous trip (in advance).

1 person likes this

@@pomkiwi Fantastic! The Atacama is beautiful - some of the most breath-taking sceneries (literally too!) you will ever see. I haven't been to Torres del Paine yet - will you be there to try and observe wild pumas in one of the adjoining private lands? I will be looking forward for the trip report :)

1 person likes this

@@cheetah80 It will be my first time in the Atacama and will be taking it gently (I have been to 4500m in Central Asia and coped OK if slowly). This is a family holiday with my wife and grown up daughters and with the accent on hiking. However...... The lodge we are staying at in Patagonia has at least one puma that regularly frequents the grounds and has been seen by a number of guests from their rooms. I am hopeful that if the animal is around I might be allowed a half day to search for it with a guide :)

If I get similar weather to my last trip at the end of 2012 I will be happy.

post-50257-0-46085200-1468330962_thumb.jpg

7 people like this

Are you self driving in the Atakama and Torres del Paine? Which lodge in TdP has the Puma sightings. Thanks Pen

@@penolva This is most definately a trip for softies :) We are being transferred everywhere and we are staying at the Awasi in Patagonia which is just outside the TdP park. It is on a large private estancia I think and offers puma tracking as an option for guests.

1 person likes this

@@penolva This is most definately a trip for softies :) We are being transferred everywhere and we are staying at the Awasi in Patagonia which is just outside the TdP park. It is on a large private estancia I think and offers puma tracking as an option for guests.

Thanks for the reply. We will be in TdP, self driving, arriving on 23 February for 6 days. I will look up that estancia to see if we can drive by to look for the Pumas! Also visiting El Calafate for the glacier and then flying onto the Argentinian and Chilean lakes for another self drive. The Atakama is on our next to do list so I will be looking forward to your trip report. Pen

1 person likes this

Thanks for the reply. We will be in TdP, self driving, arriving on 23 February for 6 days. I will look up that estancia to see if we can drive by to look for the Pumas! Also visiting El Calafate for the glacier and then flying onto the Argentinian and Chilean lakes for another self drive. The Atakama is on our next to do list so I will be looking forward to your trip report. Pen

Penalva:

If you want to try for puma, it is indeed really easy to se them, provided you know where and how to find them.

The eastern side of the park has the largest puma concentration/density on earth, there is at least 30 different pumas around the Sarmiento area (and an estimated 50 pumas inside the park).

You have to drive on the roads of the park really slowly, looking for guanacos. If the guanacos are all looking in one direction, and shouting (alarm calls), it is probable something is in there. They are sometimes wrong, but are generally OK.

I have been looking 3 times for pumas in the park, 2 times with guides. I have always seen pumas.

The last time I saw 8 pumas in just 2 days with Roberto Donoso for guide (he is busy until late 2017).

In last February, I have been awaken by guanaco calls (we were camping on the laguna amarga beach) and I saw one puma with large cub.

Where to look for easy pumas:

1- Laguna Amarga area. On the eastern side of the lake, you have on female with cub. They are both quite shy but people usually see them in the distance. Close to the estancia (where the lodge is), there is a single female, she is known to eat sheep and is thus quite shy.

2- Sarmiento area. Close to the park boundary (sarmiento entrance), there is one female with 3 young cubs. They are amazing. There is another female closer to the lake shore.

3- Arround the Faunal Trail. There is one of the 2 most famous pumas of the park, she is generally active at dawn to kill guanacos close to the barbed wires.

4- Outside the park, laguna Goic. It is a private estancia or farm, but you can try to go inside from the faunal trail. The lake is amazing, there is generally one puma resting under a boulder or in the caves under the cliffs of the Northern and Southern shores of the lake.

Hope you will find one!

7 people like this

@@jeremie Thanks for posting this information which is really helpful. I will definitely try and spend some time searching when we get there in March.

1 person likes this

Great destination, @@pomkiwi and @@penolva !

Is Chile to be visited in Jan/Feb time? Looking forward to learn as much as possible, specially about driving there.

1 person likes this

Wow thank you @@jeremie. I will search carefully and ask my husband to drive slowly. It would be fantastic to see one, or two!

I will report back. Pen

1 person likes this