See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

High ISO photographyuiv)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 douglaswise

douglaswise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local time: 08:21 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Researcher

Posted 24 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

@Terry:

I am most grateful for your post.  It comes as a great relief that other(s) than myself benefited from the generous advice I was given. The whole exercise now seems slightly less selfish on my part.  Having taken a few pictures on the recommended settings, I am happy to report quality improvements.  I hope you have a similar experience.

• Terry, TonyQ and xelas like this

#42 pomkiwi

pomkiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:46 PM

A blatant thread highjack I'm afraid  :)

This image was taken at ISO 12800 and post-processing limited to cropping, some noise reduction and the dehaze tool in Lightroom.

The camera was a Nikon D7200 with a 80-400mm Nikon zoom @330mm. f/5.6, 1/20 sec and a monopod was used.  Not flawless but I think usable.

DSC_2339.jpg

• JohnR and xelas like this

#43 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

Indeed a blatant thread hijack, and one with a great photo attached  :) !

The latest versions of Nikon crop sensor cameras (D7200 and D500) are producing RAW (and JPEG) that are usable even at ISO values previously used only for reconnaissance purposes by private detectives and paparazzi!

@pomkiwi , based on your settings, it must be almost fully dark when you took this photo?

#44 pomkiwi

pomkiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

@xelas To be fair I did try and contribute more helpfully earlier on (and it has gone quiet)!!   :)

It was almost completely dark. The image below was taken a minute or so later (ISO 8000) without the benefit of full spotlight.

DSC_2364.jpg

Edited by pomkiwi, 28 July 2016 - 04:38 PM.

• JohnR and xelas like this

#45 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

@pomkiwi

safaritalk-1.jpg

Yes, a thread highjack. Post production is important and there is much to do. I´m just a novice. But, did some basic adjustments in LR, just to show you what easily can be done. 

Adjusted: Crop angle (picture was skew) and shaved a bit of left hand side, adjusted some levels (shadows, white and highlights), added a bit vibrance, a bit temperature,  selectively sharpened the face and eyes, and selectively added noise reduction on background. 

What do you think?

• xelas likes this

#46 Geoff

Geoff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Local time: 07:21 PM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

@pomkiwi @Gregor  Whilst i quite like the image i don't think either of you fixed the major issue of the colour caste. I'd expect these cats to have a golden hue but I see magenta, not only on the leopard but it is obvious in the soil.   Also Pomkiwi, there looks to be areas of over exposure on the leopard's right flank and left foreleg, I'm not privy to the raw file but maybe you didn't need to go as low as 1/20th shutter speed. 

Geoff.

#47 pomkiwi

pomkiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

@Gregor @Geoff  Thank-you both for your detailed, constructive and helpful feedback.  I now genuinely feel slightly guilty that we have highjacked @douglaswise thread and taken it too far from its purpose.

I really posted the image in a thread entitled high iso photography to share how impressed I am with the ability of a consumer DSLR to produce a reasonable image at ISO 12800. A few people have expressed interest in this in a trip report and whilst on safari a couple of other guests saw this image and decided to push their ISO settings higher than they had previously thought sensible..........  Then I saw the beautiful images posted by @Bush dog in his trip report taken at ISO 40000 and wondered why I had made a fuss at all! :)   

The image I posted will benefit from further work as I had done only the minimum. It is quite heavily cropped starting as a shot at 330mm from a crop sensor, that together with the light source and my limitations as a photographer mean it will only ever be a record shot and not an exhibition piece.

Since I do feel we have strayed too far from the intent of this thread (for which I apologise) I will spend half an hour on this picture on a wet afternoon and post it, plus a jpg of the original image on the photo critique thread for further play.....

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.