Self-driving - cost comparisons?

JulieM

Hey all,

As per my previous post we are looking at doing an extended self-drive through Southern and East Africa. I had initially thought it would be significantly cheaper than staying in lodges/safari camps but after looking at a few sample itineraries and prices on SafariDrive I'm beginning to wonder. We will have a set budget and while it is generous it has to last the 14 weeks we are hoping to travel. Would anyone who self-drives be comfortable sharing how much their trips cost?

Cheers,

Julie

KaingU Lodge

Julie,

at a trip of that duration I would not be going to the usual renters/planners like Safari Drive at all. I would do as per luangwablondes (in your other post) and do all my planning and then get to Joburg and buy a used kitted 4x4. For what you could then sell it at the end it would almost be for free compared to a Safari Drive landrover or cruiser!

Thanks @@KaingU Lodge - I had thought it was very difficult for foreigners to buy cars in South Africa. Is it not?

luangwablondes

There are people doing it. You need to know the rules, then you can work it out.

Thanks for the links @@AKR1.

We have a friend who has family in South Africa - they might be able to help us out too.

Botswanadreams

http://www.bushlore.com/

Bushlore could be an alternative for you. We saw cars from bushlore in Tanzania doing the same what you want to do.

I think for this long term rental you'll be able to discuss the daily rate.

with the self drive Im doing it coming in at about $13k total per person, 2 people, 7 weeks, 3 countries and 2 vehicles. Im already setting up a guided self drive for 2018 that will be a month long, 2 countries and run about $7k per person. For comparison, just doing a standard week-long safari tends to run (from what I was looking at) $6k-$10k.

Do it yourself and save, but remember you only can blame yourself when you mess up the itinerary :P

Botswanadreams

I think as first you have to start with a bit more detailed planing of you travelling.

What would be the cost for the car for you?

The total costs depends very much on the prise system per country on how long you plan to stay inside national parks. As an example for Uganda you pay US$ 150 for a foreign registered car plus national park and camping fee but this US$ 150 is not per day like the other fees. It is per stay. You pay the same for only two days or six days. If you stay for example on Lake Tanganyika in Tansania you only pay a camping fee nothing else.

Namibia and South Africa is much cheaper than Botswana or the Serengeti.

So nobody can say how much you have to calculate per week for your totally unknown travel plan.

A good resource is http://www.slowdonkey.com/ from a South African couple travelled 2015/16 in 8 mounds up to Sudan and back.

Peter Connan

We will be doing a 3-week self-drive from JHB to Namibai (Etosha,Skeleton Coast, Swakopmund, Kgalagadi and back to JHB) in April next year.

Total expected cost for a family of 4 (three adults and a 13 year old) is around R40k.

This is of course using our own vehicle, and thus does not include vehicle costs, but includes everything else. Note that we will be camping all the way.

You can buy a very reliable used 4x4 for R120k or less in SA, and probably sell it at the end of the trip for very nearly the same money.

luangwablondes
Things change, but to my knowledge, this is the general process:

In order to be able to register a vehicle in your name you must apply for a Traffic Registration Number (TRN) at the Traffic Department in the area you are going to buy a vehicle. After acquiring your TRN you can buy a vehicle.

Once you have purchased the vehicle, return to the Traffic Department with the old registration paper and a new one will be issued in your name.

Applying for a TRN

Go to a Traffic Department. You will need:

1. Application form – acquired at the traffic department.

2. 2 passport photos

3. Copy of passport

4. Copy of driver's license

5. Sworn police affidavit regarding your employment. unemployed is ok for this purpose and will save a bit of hassle. Go to the nearest police station and ask for an affidavit

6. PROOF OF RESIDENCY (LEASE AGREEMENT) + PROOF OF PAYMENT(paid invoice)

You can always throw one together yourself. Don't use of a hostel, hotel, or B&B as your residence.

7. VISA / STAMP

Visa in the passport is best.

Once you get a TRN, that is the end of doing this again.

3rd party insurance is automatic and paid when you buy fuel. Few foreigners are able to crack the issue of acquiring additional South African insurance.

At the end of the safari, price the vehicle as cheaply as your mind will let you. Sticking around in SA for a few thousand $$ makes no sense. I know many people that have ended up losing a lot over that very issue. I have always priced mine at extremely cheap prices and as luck would have it, sold in one day of advertising.

Edited by luangwablondes

That looks doable @@luangwablondes

I have an unexpectedly long break from work thanks to a broken arm from a skiing accident, so it looks like I'll have some time to work on these plans. It will be a nice way to spend time!

Hi

Sorry guys but the rules for TRNs have changed:

Please see this: http://www.africa4x4cafe.com/docs/trn.jpg

So now it can be a hit but usually a miss trying to get a TRN depending on which office you try - I do have a contact in JHB though that seems to be getting vehicles registered in foreigners names.