See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Trophy hunting fees do little to help threatened species- new US Congressional Report

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Local time: 12:36 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...re-iphone-share

A report by Democrats on the House Natural Resources Committee challenges claims that revenue from big-game hunts helps broader conservation efforts.

Full report :
http://democrats-nat...ng the Mark.pdf
  • Towlersonsafari and fictionauthor like this

#2 fictionauthor

fictionauthor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 15 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for posting this.

A quote from the article:

“Before Cecil, there was a certain complacency surrounding what to do about the lion, almost an indifference,” said Craig Packer, a lion expert who ran the Serengeti Lion Project in Tanzania for 35 years and has been critical of hunting practices in that country.

“After Cecil, it became clear that the public was much more skeptical of sport hunting,” he said. “It shows the power of public opinion.”

• Towlersonsafari and optig like this

#3 Lois Hild Photography

Lois Hild Photography

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 17 June 2016 - 05:57 AM

The last line of the report:

"Hunting is a valuable part of American culture, but as the outrage over the death of Cecil the Lion shows, it will only remain so if hunters verifiably contribute to conservation."

It seems that the politicians are still in the pockets of the hunting lobby.

"I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up that I was not happy." ~ Ernest Hemingway

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.