See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Convincing Chinese Consumers Not to Buy Ivory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MattMiller

MattMiller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 08:50 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:NGO

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:40 PM

It's one of those questions that seems to invariably come up at conservation meetings: how do we get Chinese consumers to not buy ivory?

My colleague Hazel Wong recently led an effort to poll potential consumers on what messages would dissuade them. This is probably not a surprise, but moralizing and demonizing don't work. And yet that is what many conservationists still do. Hazel has been a leader in conservation messaging and I think this research could help create better outreach campaigns. As she says, "We can't just wag our finger at China and expect things to change."

Read more: How Can Conservationists Convince Consumers to Not Buy Ivory?

• Kitsafari and fictionauthor like this

#2 fictionauthor

fictionauthor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local time: 06:50 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:03 PM

This is a wonderful article you're written @MattMiller . This explains why consumers in China are buying ivory and specific ways to educate them to change this.

They need to know the origins of ivory products: elephants are killed for their tusks; the tusks are not collected from a live elephant that then grows new ones. This fact alone can have an impact on decreasing one’s likelihood of buying ivory.  

My only question is what percentage of the ivory buyers are using it for Chinese medicine and how can that be addressed? 

Edited by fictionauthor, 18 June 2016 - 05:10 PM.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.