See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul T

Zambia's illegal wildlife trade - in pictures

3 posts in this topic

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words ......

The following is courtesy of The Guardian on-line news in the UK, click the link .....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2016/may/16/zambia-illegal-wildlife-trade-benjamin-rutherford-in-pictures?CMP=share_btn_tw

1 person likes this

Zambia has one of the least devolved wildlife (and other) policy regimes in Sub-Saharan Africa. Communities don't really own anything, and therefore, they feel like transients in their own homes ("it behooves me to kill that impala before someone else does" then)

The people of Zambia also have a long history of living off wild animal protein (better than living off livestock, I say), yet all sanctioned game ranches are owned by private, wealthy individuals, not communities. For poor Zambians living in proximity to national parks and who don't feel they have ownership in their land, poaching is a natural response.

The photos in the link are just a reflection of the failing wildlife policy.

There are some recent developments at ZAWA (Zambian Wildlife Authority) that indicate that they are willing to think about devolution of wildlife ownership. We shall see...

2 people like this

Very good pictures. Thought provoking, so I guess that means they work as intended. And yes, devolved ownership is one of the key changes that are required.