Multi-country, 4 month self-drive tour of Southern and East Africa - anyone done it?

JulieM

Hey all,

I am at the beginning of a daydream about hiring a 4x4 camper and self-driving with hubby for several months through Southern and East Africa - thinking South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Kenya. Has anyone done something like that? Can you point me to any trip reports or must-view websites? Cheers.

luangwablondes

I've done it several times, 1st time in 1996. All starting out of Joburg. The difference being that I bought and kitted out 4x4s before venturing out. What you need to do is put together a bucket list of places and things you want to see, do and go to. Then it is easier to put an itinerary together that is sensible. Distances and times between can be deceiving. And Sh@t happens.Things have changed considerably in those intervening years. Many places (usually the best and most popular) need advance reservations for campsites, activities, a kili climb, etc. You should be aware of the seasonal changes, to take best advantage of game viewing opportunities, park accessibility, among the multitude of other issues. Significantly, if you take high season, getting reservations can be difficult. But if you go off season, game viewing can be not so good, weather and tracks an issue.

Plan well in advance, and I suggest looking at roughly June-Sept. If the heat doesn't bother you, Oct. can be quite good for game viewing in parts of Southern and East Africa too. Btw, this doesn't mean you need to plan everyday. Definitely not. Just the popular places. There are a huge variety of things to do, besides game viewing, and I suggest you incorporate that too. Beach, scuba diving, kili climb, visit vineyards near Cape Town, Vic Falls is a must, and the list goes on.

Thanks @@luangwablondes. Unfortunately we are limited to a set period of time when we can come, as we are sending our daughter off on a student exchange from late January to late June. We were thinking of travelling 6-8 weeks in Australia first then heading to Africa in mid-late March. It won't be ideal, but hey - we have to do it when we can do it! There's heaps of research to do, but I love doing that, and with such a wonderful resource like Safaritalk, I reckon it'll be doable!

Thanks @@Peter Connan - that's a very comprehensive (and slightly overwhelming) site!

Can only point you in the same direction as Peter, also used 4x4community.co.za a lot. Just make a profile and start asking questions, that´s what I have done ;) Also checkout slowdonkey.com ... A website from a couple who done what you wanna do :)

Great links - thanks @@AKR1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @@bundu - I'll keep an eye on your site as our trip approaches

There's also an FAQ that you might want to browse through and if you have any other questions please shout.

Great! Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

On the 4x4 forum look at Stan Weakley's 'Slow Donkey" report. Its a nice read, covers all the areas you are thinking of travelling in plus a lot of advice and information. He is very experienced and responds to questions quickly. Pen

Thanks @@penolva - I spent many a happy hour reading his report and agree it is a wealth of information! I've posted over there too and have had some good responses.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Hey JulieM, check out our blog for up to date info on Tanzanian parks and our self driving trip reports.

http://anthilltiger.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by Anthilltiger

Thanks @@Anthilltiger - I'll be spending some time reading everything on your blog!

@@JulieM you're welcome, and just mail me if you have any questions.

Will do!!