See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Please help with ID of birds

kalahari birds shrike robin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

Seeking help from the birding experts and enthusiasts to identify the following birds from Tswalu, SOuth Africa!

thanks much

Pix 1: could this be a fiscal shrike ?

P1150626-1.JPG

Pix 2 : that's an African red eyed bulbul on the right. but not sure what bird is on the left? it looks like a Mackinnon's shrike. 

P1150674-1.JPG

#2 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Local time: 04:20 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

@Kitsafari I think you are right about the fiscal but not about Mackinnon's

Mackinnon’s shrike Lanius mackinnoni is an entirely equatorial Central African species I saw one in Gabon they range from the west coast in a narrow band across Central Africa to the far west of Kenya, so its distribution completely rules it out and it's also grey on the back and the top of the head.

Although there’s quite a difference in the size of the white supercilliums on these two birds I would suggest that they are in fact the same species and that they are the south-western form of the common fiscal Lanius collaris subcoronatus. I’ve not been to Tswalu but I would guess that this subspecies should occur there. The only other fiscal that has a black head with a white supercillium like this and that does look very similar is the Uhehe fiscal but this is endemic to the Eastern Arc Mountains of Tanzania. So I think that common fiscal is the only option in both cases.

#3 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:46 AM

@inyathi thanks much for the help. i thought the shrike in the second pic didn't look like the fiscal shrike as the white strip on the top of his head seemed to cover the crown as well. but that could be the angle of the bird's tilted head.

what you say seems to make sense. 

• inyathi likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kalahari, birds, shrike, robin

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.