See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
COSMIC RHINO

ADVICE ON SUN EXPOSURE

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am only the mailing list of the mayo clinic , and came across this item on sun exposure.

please see http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/best-sunscreen/art-20045110

• the important thing is to also cover your body with clothes
  • sunburn can happen at any time, even when it is overcast
  • the difference in SPF don't mean that much, if the product your are using has a higher rating it does not mean that you stop reapplying it
  • the most important thing is to apply the product generously use it , keep on using it and per the label

the article has some interesting information about sunscreens and is well worthwhile reading

Edited by COSMIC RHINO
2 people like this

@@COSMIC RHINO very useful. thank you for the link.

Posted (edited)

My daughter is a survivor of Stage 3 melanoma, discovered at age 33. We carry sunscreen, wear clothes that cover, and hats and sunglasses all the time. It is a habit you build. Also, visit a dermatologist if you haven't seen one before. You needn't go annually, unless there turns out to be a reason to do so. AND remember, even if a mole is in a place on your body that is always covered -- it can still turn out to be cancerous.

Edited by Uh_oh busted

I am white as a ghost and burn easy to boot!

I go to my dermatologist annually for a full body scan. I've had 3-4 moles removed, but thankfully they've been benign. I carry sunscreen in basically every place I can and reapply frequently...sometimes I get the urge for some "color" and then I think, "WTH are you thinking?!?" and reapply.

@@Uh_oh busted, I am glad your daughter is a survivor!

My dermatologist says that anything over SPF 30 is a waste of money. Just buy 30 and reapply frequently. All inline with what @@COSMIC RHINO has already stated.

Great topic!

And the general recommendation is to apply sunscreen _before_ applying your insect repellent..

My sun practice is changing this year. I had a tiny spot on my nose that turned out to be basal cell carcinoma, thankfully. But the surgery to remove it was agony and 37 stitches and four months later, it's still not fully recovered. While I always put sunblock on in the past, I also didn't really avoid the sun the way I should have. It makes it tough as a runner and outdoor cyclist as well as one who love the beach!

1 person likes this

On 1/19/2017 at 11:02 PM, amybatt said:

My sun practice is changing this year. I had a tiny spot on my nose that turned out to be basal cell carcinoma, thankfully. But the surgery to remove it was agony and 37 stitches and four months later, it's still not fully recovered. While I always put sunblock on in the past, I also didn't really avoid the sun the way I should have. It makes it tough as a runner and outdoor cyclist as well as one who love the beach!

~ @amybatt

I've only just now read this.

Some five months later, has your nose returned to normal?

You're such an active person, that it's hard to imagine you being hobbled by this, yet it's a prudent caution to everyone about sunshine exposure.

Tom K.

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @amybatt

I've only just now read this.

Some five months later, has your nose returned to normal?

You're such an active person, that it's hard to imagine you being hobbled by this, yet it's a prudent caution to everyone about sunshine exposure.

Tom K.

Thanks for checking in, @Tom Kellie.  It's better but not 100%.   I still don't have full feeling back in it and there's one scar I'm having laser surgery on next month to get rid of because it's sort of unsightly to me.  It really has made me a lot more conscientious outside.  I put zinc oxide with SPF 50 on my face (which makes me look like a clown) and sunblock with 50 on the rest of me.  I still run and ride outside, but early mornings or late day to avoid the worst of the sun.  I don't lecture people, but I will stress the importance of sunblock, especially on places you tend to miss like the tip of your nose and tops of your ears!

Edited by amybatt
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, amybatt said:

Thanks for checking in, @Tom Kellie.  It's better but not 100%.   I still don't have full feeling back in it and there's one scar I'm having laser surgery on next month to get rid of because it's sort of unsightly to me.  It really has made me a lot more conscientious outside.  I put zinc oxide with SPF 50 on my face (which makes me look like a clown) and sunblock with 50 on the rest of me.  I still run and ride outside, but early mornings or late day to avoid the worst of the sun.  I don't lecture people, but I will stress the importance of sunblock, especially on places you tend to miss like the tip of your nose and tops of your ears!

~ @amybatt

I'm so sorry that you suffered in order to be a cautionary example about the risk of high sunshine exposure.

Thank you very much for explaining this. As I read your comment I said to myself that this is sobering.

What leaps out is that months later the nerve function hasn't yet been fully restored hence not full feeling.

Your use of zinc oxide with SPF 50 and sunblock is a sound regimen.

This strikes me as of such value that I'll indirectly mention it to students in the coming week, as a number of them are outbound on summer field research projects where extensive direct sun exposure is likely.

As to resembling a clown, with a happy grin and laughter, that could be fun, were it not that a scar was involved.

Hope that the laser surgery will be trouble-free and painless!

Tom K.

1 person likes this