See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

ADVICE ON SUN EXPOSURE

MAYO CLINIC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,647 posts
  • Local time: 05:55 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:44 AM

I am only the mailing list of the mayo clinic , and came across this item on sun exposure.

please see http://www.mayoclini...en/art-20045110

• the important thing is to  also cover your body with clothes
  • sunburn can happen at any time, even when it is overcast
  • the difference in SPF don't mean that much, if the product your are using has a higher rating it does not mean that you stop reapplying it
  • the most important  thing is to apply the product generously use it , keep on using it and per the label

the article has some interesting information about sunscreens and is well worthwhile reading

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 03 June 2016 - 08:52 AM.

• ZaminOz and Big Andy like this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#2 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

@COSMIC RHINO very useful. thank you for the link. 

#3 Uh_oh busted

Uh_oh busted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 AM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

My daughter is a survivor of Stage 3 melanoma, discovered at age 33.  We carry sunscreen, wear clothes that cover, and hats and sunglasses all the time.  It is a habit you build.  Also, visit a dermatologist if you haven't seen one before.  You needn't go annually, unless there turns out to be a reason to do so.    AND remember, even if a mole is in a place on your body that is always covered -- it can still turn out to be cancerous.  

Edited by Uh_oh busted, 05 July 2016 - 06:53 PM.

#4 taylorqobrien

taylorqobrien

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 01:55 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:13 AM

I am white as a ghost and burn easy to boot! 

I go to my dermatologist annually for a full body scan. I've had 3-4 moles removed, but thankfully they've been benign. I carry sunscreen in basically every place I can and reapply frequently...sometimes I get the urge for some "color" and then I think, "WTH are you thinking?!?" and reapply.

@Uh_oh busted, I am glad your daughter is a survivor!

My dermatologist says that anything over SPF 30 is a waste of money. Just buy 30 and reapply frequently. All inline with what @COSMIC RHINO has already stated. 

Great topic!

#5 Christopher Moran

Christopher Moran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 05:55 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:49 AM

And the general recommendation is to apply sunscreen _before_ applying your insect repellent..

#6 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 AM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

My sun practice is changing this year.  I had a tiny spot on my nose that turned out to be basal cell carcinoma, thankfully.  But the surgery to remove it was agony and 37 stitches and four months later, it's still not fully recovered.  While I always put sunblock on in the past, I also didn't really avoid the sun the way I should have.  It makes it tough as a runner and outdoor cyclist as well as one who love the beach!

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.