Julian

Zambia 2017 - Advice, suggestions, etc - Please

123 posts in this topic

@@lmonmm

@Julian I love this itinerary and secretly, I'm really glad you picked Shumba. It is a really beautiful camp. I have some pretty fond memories of that place :)

Weve only ever been to one Wilderness Safari camp before - Duma Tau in Linyanti, Botswana, and we really liked it a lot. Their camps are generally way out of our price range, but we feel we ought to and are able to treat ourselves this time.
1 person likes this

@@optig

@@Julian All the guides at Remote Africa Safaris (Tafika) and Shenton Safaris (Kaingo and Mwamba) are excellent,but try to be guided by the chief guide of Shenton Safaris: Patrick Njobuvu. He's not only highly regarded as one of the finest guides in South Luangwa National Park; he's one of funniest men that I've ever met. He can make any game drive,night drive or walk hilariously funny. I consider him a close personal friend whom I have nothing but respect and admiration for.

Thanks for this Optig.

Any ideas how iwe can get him to be our guide at Kaingo. Shoud we ask ATR to request Kaingo to arrange for us to have hime him as our guide?

@@Julian @@optig It might be difficult to request Patrick as he tends to guide out of Mwamba. Julian if you cannot get Pat do not despair both Andrew & Sly (Sylvester) are excellent guides.

In fact Andrew used to work with Egil.

1 person likes this

Julian I certainly agree with you about life being too short as I just lost a family member. This is why we are going back to Africa this year rather than waiting until next year as we had originally planned.

1 person likes this

@@Julian

Patrick does guide from Kaingo as well so he may well be there when you are. Just ask when you arrive, because I don't think that they will guarantee it unless you pay for him as your private guide up front. But be aware that every second Tom, Dick and @@optig will also have requested Pat! :)

2 people like this

Rachel saw her consultant today and unfortunately the recent scan has found a spot of cancer - so she will be having 3 months of chemo.

Therefore this safari will be rescheduled, we hope, for next year.

Julian, so sorry to hear about Rachel's latest scan. Keep positive and both of you can look forward to next years trip.

1 person likes this

@@Julian very saddened to hear that. Best wishes...

1 person likes this

@Julian Oh Julian- I just don't even know what to say. I am so so sooooo sorry to hear this. Sending strength and determination to Rachel....well, actually to both of you. Rooting for a fabulous trip next year for the two of you!!!!!!

1 person likes this

@@Julian,...best to have Rachel get her treatment now. Not only will it give both of you something wonderful to look forward to, but will give her more time to heal. And, you can read those books that you just purchased. We all wish the both of you well.

1 person likes this

Best wishes to you and Rachel, and to a quick and full recovery.

1 person likes this

@@Julian I have been following along on your trip plans, as I'm in the middle of planning a 2018 safari in Zambia. I'm so sorry to hear Rachel has more treatments ahead of her. I hope it all goes well. Who knows--maybe I'll meet both of you on safari next year instead. Best wishes!

1 person likes this

Really sorry to here this @@Julian. Hope this latest round of treatment is not too arduous and most importantly successful. Best wishes to you both.

1 person likes this

@@Julian - very sorry to hear. All good wishes coming her way for a speedy and full recovery!

1 person likes this

@@Julian, I also wish Rachel all the best and that you both visit the Kafue in 2018.

1 person likes this

@Raelond@Geoff@lmonmm@marg@michael-ibk@bluebird@wilddog@madaboutcheetah@KaingU Lodge

Thanks so much for all your supportful comments for Rachel.

Rachel is fine and well, and working ( in senior management at the Open University), and having had chemo and radio therapy back in 2015 for anal cancer ( which shrunk the 3cm tumour to 6mm , the size of a pea), she finally had to have the major surgery APR op in March 2016 which then left her cancer free at that time, as they could find no traces of any more anywhere else in MRI, CT and full head to toe PET scans.

March 2017 - one year follow-up CT Scan - we expected it to be all clear , but one spot now found on her lung which they are convinced is secondary anal cancer - ie it means it has spread through her blood. PET scan will be done in the next couple of weeks to look in more detail and check no further traces of tiny groups of cells, then standard 3 months chemo followed by surgery to remove the spot.

After that we hope that will be the last of it.

Very best wishes to you both! Stay strong.

1 person likes this

So pleased to hear Rachel is fine and well and working - that all augurs well.

Along with everyone else I send my best wishes to you both.

1 person likes this

@@Julian

Best wishes to both of you

1 person likes this

On 4/5/2017 at 8:03 AM, Julian said:

@Raelond@Geoff@lmonmm@marg@michael-ibk@bluebird@wilddog@madaboutcheetah@KaingU Lodge

Thanks so much for all your supportful comments for Rachel.

Rachel is fine and well, and working ( in senior management at the Open University), and having had chemo and radio therapy back in 2015 for anal cancer ( which shrunk the 3cm tumour to 6mm , the size of a pea), she finally had to have the major surgery APR op in March 2016 which then left her cancer free at that time, as they could find no traces of any more anywhere else in MRI, CT and full head to toe PET scans.

March 2017 - one year follow-up CT Scan - we expected it to be all clear , but one spot now found on her lung which they are convinced is secondary anal cancer - ie it means it has spread through her blood. PET scan will be done in the next couple of weeks to look in more detail and check no further traces of tiny groups of cells, then standard 3 months chemo followed by surgery to remove the spot.

After that we hope that will be the last of it.

Following up my last post on this topic - Rachel's chemo has just finished and results of a recent scan indicate it has worked better than expected -ie no active cancer left in remains of 'nodule', so no surgery necessary at this time, and no further treatment planned - for now. 

Further scan in three months time will determine if any further treatment will be needed - so 'out of the woods' for now, but we dont know what will happen in a few months time..... 

However this does mean we can actually go on safari during those three months, so, allowing  a few weeks in September for Rachel to get over the tiredness of the chemo, we are intending to go on safari during the second half of October.

As we need to plan and organise everything relatively very quickly we've decided to go on a fairly easy and not too long safari to Northern Tanzania. I'll start a new post in the Trip Planning section in the next few days......... 

9 people like this

Very glad to hear that, Julian, a safari will surely be a wonderful change for you after your difficult times.

1 person likes this

Agree with everyone above. Such good news, @Julian and hope you both enjoy a restful and reviving safari & glad all the yuck stuff is behind you!

1 person likes this

a safari will be balm for the soul and tired bodies. Very glad to hear the news and hope you and Rachel get back to Africa real soon. 

1 person likes this

Wonderful news.  It will be a very special safari.

1 person likes this