See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Gorilla shot in Cincinnati Zoo after a 4 year old falls into its' enclosure

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 fictionauthor

fictionauthor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Local time: 05:22 PM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:11 AM

Jane Goodall reached out to the zoo director with her sympathies. She said it appeared that Harambe was acting protectively. However, since it was after the fact, she expressed her condolences to the director. Her concern now that it was over was whether the females had been given a chance to see and to express grief. Sadly though, I'd read they were looking around for Harambe, so I don't think they let them see his body later. As an aside, this is an extension of the work Elisabeth Kubler-Ross did with death and dying for humans.  

The mother, Michelle Gregg, made a very good and healing gesture by recommending that people not send her money, but send it to the zoo in honor of Harambe. http://www.people.com/article/cincinnati-police-conclude-investigation-into-endangered-gorillas-shooting-death And the family has no plans to sue. http://www.wlwt.com/...g-well/39821518  

• amybatt and ellenhighwater like this

#22 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:10 AM

I think that the mother Mitchell Gregg, is handling the matter with grace and class.Furthermore,no mother even if the father was present could be guaranteed to keep an eye on the kids all the time. When guiding a group of children any one of us could look away for just a moment and a child could wander off.

#23 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,396 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

I must admit I was wondering how his group would respond to Harambe's death/loss and how they will behave in the coming weeks.

I assume he was the only Silver back in that group. Will they introduce another male in due course? I imagine this will be a complex process
  • optig likes this

#24 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

@fictionauthor @wilddog I have also been worried about how the females would react and did they actually see him get shot or how would they understand what happened to him. I think there were only two females and Harambe there. I was also wondering if they would introduce another male. It's all very sad.

#25 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:30 AM

No charges for the mother.

http://www.nytimes.c...core-ipad-share

Zoo workers killed a gorilla who dragged the 3-year-old around, leading to harsh criticism of both the zoo and the boy’s mother.

why are Gorillas in zoos?

http://www.nytimes.c...core-ipad-share

Gorillas have been shown to thrive in captivity, but some wonder if their display is tailored to the interests of the animals or the onlookers.
  • fictionauthor likes this

#26 fictionauthor

fictionauthor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:01 AM

Thank you, AKR1, for those links. The first is not news to anyone who heard the police decided a few days ago not to press charges. And I think most people would agree, this is the right way to go. The second link was very interesting. @SafariChick, they quoted de Waal, but not in regards to what you had found earlier.

Dr. Watts, who said he had been “punched, knocked over and dragged” by male gorillas but never seriously injured, wishes he had been at the Cincinnati Zoo as the crisis unfolded. He would have volunteered to enter the enclosure and assume a submissive fetal position on the floor to try drawing the gorilla’s attention from the boy. (He admits he is engaging in a kind of Monday morning strut-display of his own.)

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.